cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Taking back my computer's files from Dropbox.

Taking back my computer's files from Dropbox.

Stuck
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Unaware of the consequences, in one click I uploaded all my computer files to Dropbox. I want them out of Dropbox without deleting them from my computer. Forum answers linked me to unhelpful instructions to first "turn off computer backup" I tried to follow. When I 1-click Dropbox on my system tray, I get my Windows File Explorer with a dropbox folder. There is no 2-profile picture or initials, 3-Preferences, 4-backups, etc. to complete the instructions. I thought I must have missed something in the app download, so I did it again. I now have two Dropbox icons in File Explorer to see all my PC files held hostage by Dropbox. I can't complete instructions if I can't get past square one. I don't want to store or share everything on Dropbox.  I want to remove them with my files still intact on my computer. This is too much needless drama.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Stuck, thanks for joining the Community!

Are you certain that you're clicking the Dropbox icon near the clock on your machine? You can see where the icon is supposed to be on this page.

A single click should open the app, whereas a doubleclick will open the Dropbox folder.

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Stuck, thanks for joining the Community!

Are you certain that you're clicking the Dropbox icon near the clock on your machine? You can see where the icon is supposed to be on this page.

A single click should open the app, whereas a doubleclick will open the Dropbox folder.

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Stuck
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Jay,

Thank you ever so much! As you described so well, I found the little Dropbox icon under hidden icons near my clock on the task bar at the bottom of my computer. Then I was able to follow the instruction I printed "To turn off computer backup" from your help files. I clicked on my initials in the top right corner, clicked Prefereces, Backups, Manage Backups, unchecked My PC, clicked Save and chose Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac. I clicked Stop Backup and Close. My mistake was undone.

My files are now belong ONLY to my PC and I can choose only what I want to keep on the Dropbox cloud, like my photos (as soon as I figure out how to do that).

Newbees and old people need to see the picture. You gave me that. I'm in your debt.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You're welcome, @Stuck, I'm very happy to hear that I helped you out today, and that your computer files are no longer syncing to the site.

If there's any additional info or assistance you need, please, feel free to contact me again. Enjoy your weekend!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

jimpur
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Stuck - thank you fellow user for describing in detail the steps you took starting with hidden items on the task bar. That was the Dropbox "secret handshake" that I hadn't located. From there following your other prompts it was simple to disable backup.

When I installed Dropbox a few days ago I don't think I selected "full compter backup" as I definitely don't want it. I think it is on by default to promote out of space upgrades. 

Stuck
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Jimpur - You're so kind. I never imagined I would be anyone's computer stuff answer guy, 😉 You had to have jumped through a lot of hoops to find my post. It shouldn't be this hard to find answers, right. I expect a genie in a jar to fix my mistakes. I agree with your assessment of how we got in this mess. Now breath, just breath.

naturedr
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Your post was helpful but how absolutely ridiculous is it that I am having to search for answers on this forum and read through your answers to get to the icon hidden over by the clock-  BUT that is still not solving my issue of what folder is backed up, as the preferences still only bring me to the 3 options of backing up my computer, desktop or documents-  if I click on documents it wants to start backing up my entire 400 gig documents- 

where is the option to just back up one folder in my documents?

where is the option that shows me that these folders stay on my computer no matter what (I do not want any deleting going on from dropbox to my computer)

Right clicking on the folder is an option to 'back up to dropbox' however that only opens the same vicous loop bringing me to the all or nothing option to backup all of my documents.

This is so absolutely ridiculous and infuriating-  I run a business.  I am a smart teck savy person, so I thought until spending the last 45 min here...!  Thanks all!

Stuck
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Naturedr, I hear you and share your frustration. I hope you got the help you needed from administrators because I am not tech savvy. My only expertise was in translating my understanding of admin instructions into clearer word pictures. Good luck getting your answers from admin.

naturedr
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for your reply:  I ended up deleting my dropbox account completely and reinstalling on my computers and starting from scratch with a new account and new upload :  until today, a week later when one of my computers started backing up an entire 500gb folder rather than only the files I thought I had chosen (obviously it was not clear to me with thier new complexity, how or where to just drag and drop what I want backed up).  I have run my own business for 20 yrs and have had over 2000 clients in that time-  but somehow I am too much of a ludite to be able to understand the new dropbox!  I'm deleting my account once again but I am not re-installing.  I'll just find some cloud application to back up the folders I need.  I have even read that dropbox's security is considered only so-so in the industry!  Take care-

babajoeboy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi

I have uninstall drop box from my pc. But when I save files it still showed me the dropbox folder but there is nothing inside.

When i click right of my folder, and click properties it showed C:\Users\Owner\Dropboxes (Old)\My PC (HP)\Desktop.

When I click on windows/user/owner, i still see folder dropboxes (old) but when i open it is empty?

I dont want to save files to dropbox and want to get out of it completely and dont want to loose my files. 

Joseph (babajoeboy)

Need more support?