cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Team Folders vs Shared Folders

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm inquiring about the most efficient way to use the folders within Dropbox. I am operating off of a business account and my company has about 15 different dropbox users. We use Dropbox to monitor and track progress with our construction projects. 

When a new job starts, we create a team folder and add the specified members to the group, and then add that group to the team. This way of managing is nice because you still have the admin monitoring the job folders. However, we've noticed the ease that comes with using a shared folder, like how you can add people outside of your business. 

I guess what I'm looking for, is the best instance of when to use a Team folder and when to use a Shared folder. Their features seem to have some overlap, and I want to ensure we are being the most efficent with our business. 

Thanks!

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Team Folders vs Shared Folders

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for posting your question @annikaolsen37

To make this as simple as possible, the only thing you cannot do with Team folders, is add non team members to the top level group you share this type of folder with. Groups inlcude only team members. 

As you already know and correctly mentioned, you can add non members to shared folders instead. This means you can add not team members in the folders you have inside your Team folders. 

Shared folders do not allow you to share sublevels with different permissions. Read about this shared folder limitation here

I would be happy to advise more on sharing. Just get back to me with all your questions! 

Have a nice week! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?