cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Windows Explorer Performance - Click slow, stutters

Terrible Windows Explorer Performance - Click slow, stutters

Jim G.24
Helpful | Level 5

Not sure when this started happening, but we've been paid Dropbox users for years.  The new issues may be a deal killer.  Clicking on a file or folder to rename takes SECONDS.  It's almost like Explorer is "stuttering".  This is on i5 10th Gen and Ryzen R5 machines -- new stuff.  Once we kill Dropbox, performance is great.  We love Dropbox, but this really is a problem!

19 Replies 19

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @1537954, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you confirm that you're noticing this with our latest, stable version of the desktop app found on this page?

Also, could you share your ticket ID for your support interaction so that we can look it up in our system?

Thanks a bunch!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Helpful | Level 6

Walter please note:

When I was on tech support chat for a couple of hours, I was sent a download link that installed V 146.4.4836. There was no mention of a stable version being available, which I believe is the problem.  In trying to resolve the issue last night I uninstalled DB, cleaned out all registry references and did a new install and ran it as Admin. I have 400GB of data and used the advanced options to install the Dropbox folder on my Data drive which is D:. I then immediately paused the sync and dragged all my Dropbox files from OldDropbox ( I renamed the existing Dropbox folder before doing the new install to OldDropbox) to the new Dropbox folder the install created and then restarted the sync. Being that I had the same problem with Windows Explorer delaying for about 20 seconds when accessing anything in the Dropbox folder. I repeated the uninstall and did the reinstall and let Dropbox download (sync) all the files from my Dropbox.com account. This took all night and the problem is still there. Can you advise if there is a shortcut I can use to update to the new Dropbox stable file version that you referenced without having to do the entire uninstall reinstall?

Thank You

Helpful | Level 6

I downloaded the offline installer for V 147.4.4800. I then quit Dropbox and installed it as Admin. I rebooted and the same issue is still there. Every file access on D:Dropbox folder through Windows Explorer is delayed for about 15-20 seconds while looking at the Windows hourglass. 

Also when accessing the Dropbox folder (windows explorer) by clicking 😧 then Dropbox folder also causes a delay. When accessing using the Dropox icon link that it installs on the windows explorer quick access the subfolder shows immediately but then when trying to access any subfolder or file the delay continues. Accessing the web account is quick. This is occurring when using the local store  method and syncing to website and not the selective sync. This makes Dropbox not useable. There are a lot of posts on the web with users having the same problem. Please advise if any other method to resolve this.

Helpful | Level 6

Confirmed same issues with 147.4.4800

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @1537954, thanks for all the updates. 

You mentioned you're working with our Support agents on this, am I right? Can you send me the ticket number reference, so I can look into it? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

PeppeVaro
Helpful | Level 6

This is a common problem. Beside solving the one with the ticket number reference you are asking, please consider to address the issue at architectural level for the next major release.

When the issue solves based on a ticket number, it remains to all of us.

Thanks for your attention.

Helpful | Level 6

To anyone that is experiencing this issue, and if you run iCloud for Windows.

I spent about 8 hours trying to resolve the issue including a long tech support chat session with no resolution. This does not include the resync time because of the new install that took 14 hours to finish on a 1 Gig download internet connection.

Tech support did not send me the latest build to download. I thank Walter for giving me the link to the latest build. As Dropbox is supposed to auto update to the latest version, I have never understood why numerous times I find that Dropbox is not running the latest build weeks after a new build comes out. Tech support suggested moving the entire folder to Drive C which I knew had nothing to do with the issue. I have been running Dropbox for over 6 years with this exact setup. I also ran error scanning on the D drive which confirmed no issues with it. So, this would have been an additional waste of time.

I searched websites including Dropbox and saw numerous reports of the same issue. iCloud for Windows was mentioned as a possible conflict. I use iCloud calendars/Contacts/iCloud Drive for business and just uninstalling it due to Dropbox not working with it is not an option. There is no other software that I run that has any issues with iCloud. I tried the suggested.....Alt_H fixes, disabling anti-virus/firewall software etc. none worked. So I uninstalled iCloud and rebooted the computer. Then I tried accessing Dropbox folders and files on the local drive and the problem was gone. I then did a reinstall of  ICloud and then a reboot. iCloud is running with no issues and the Dropbox issue is fixed. 

Dropbox is a very useful utility.  In my years of using DB the few times I ran into an issue that I cannot fix, my experience is that I have not been able to get tech support to fix a single issue. I believe this is the greatest downfall of Dropbox. As iCloud Drive, MS OneDrive, Google Drive become more sophisticated, easier to use and more widely adopted, I will have to consider them as alternatives to Drobox as I don’t have days to give up when there is an issue with Dropbox.  Tech support has to be there the few times you need it and have the ability to resolve issues. I use Google One and find their tech support to be superb as is Microsoft OneDrive. I do not have the time to find a workaround due to a new build issue and perhaps other users have had this experience.

I assume that DB Tech support has fixed many issues for other users, unfortunately for me this has never been the case. 

Helpful | Level 6

Update:

I e-mailed tech support on 4/26 in response to their automated case support e-mail regarding the non-productive tech support chat on 4/25. I requested the tech support level 2 that was offered at the end of the chat session. I just received a response requesting more information. That is 4 business days to just respond with a request for more information...not a solution. This would have left me without the use of Dropbox for a week, which is used for business. I have never run into a major software company that takes 4 days to just respond to an outstanding case and simply asks for more information. Just a confirmation that Dropbox has no tech support operation scaled to the needs of customers. It is basically do it yourself or expect to not use the software for weeks. That is assuming Tech Support would have eventually come up with a solution.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @1537954, I am glad to see that this has been resolved. 

As for your comments, in regards to our Support team, I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can further improve our support service so that if you have to get in touch with Dropbox Support again it will hopefully be a much better experience.

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to let me know. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

thipsusi
New member | Level 2

Thank you very much. This remark has been of great assistance to me.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

thipsusi New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    1537954 Helpful | Level 6
    PeppeVaro Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?