cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The Photos page is changing...

The Photos page is changing...

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I've just seen the banner that says "The Photos page is changing on 30 June 2017 but your pictures will stay safe in your Dropbox account. Learn more". The gist is that they are removing the final remants of the Carousel functionality - which makes me wonder what the point was in purchasing it in the first place:

"After that date, you’ll no longer be able to create or share albums on the web, or browse photos in the current timeline view. However, all your photos will remain safe in your Dropbox account."

Even funnier, it says:

"Creating a better photos experience

We’re continuing to work on new photos and file experiences on dropbox.com. As we learn more about how our users prefer to work with photos, we’ll launch improvements to the experience."

With these changes there will be no photos experience that is any different to normal files. If they remove camera uploads, that would be the last straw for me and I'll be moving to a different service.

302 Replies 302

cdysthe
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
I used Google Photos for a while and came back to Dropbox because Google Photos has some annoying bugs with Google being even more arrogant towards users than Dropbox are. I paid for Google Photos but the problems I had were not fixed and still aren't. I'm not sure where to go now when Dropbox is shoving their new "features" down our throats.

bwraith
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I am now using Flickr. The user interface is a little confusing, but I've found the features more than cover what I was doing with Dropbox. I'll probably still store my photos on Dropbox, but I've been using multcloud to transfer them from Dropbox to Flickr, copying folders in Dropbox containing only photos and videos to the Albums folder on Flickr. This creates albums in Flickr automatically, which I have found useful. From there the photo content is on the Flickr Camera Roll and can be organized further. There is a bulk editing feature on Flickr that allows changing the creation date, which can be great if your device doesn't put the right meta data in the file.

bsmit01
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

totally agree - weird decision on their part

Igor V.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

cdysthe, what kind of problems do you have with Google Photos?

@cdysthe wrote:
I used Google Photos for a while and came back to Dropbox because Google Photos has some annoying bugs with Google being even more arrogant towards users than Dropbox are. I paid for Google Photos but the problems I had were not fixed and still aren't. I'm not sure where to go now when Dropbox is shoving their new "features" down our throats.

M S.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I agree with Google being buggy.  I have no desire to use Google for anything as it is.  If you think Dropbox support is bad.... 

I have 1TB of free space available to me on OneDrive through Office365 but they have an insane file limitation, plus they have pulled support for features and benefits the same way as DB is doing.  No warning and breaking promises made just to get people to sign up.  Probably the buggiest of the 3 and the least flexible. 

Have any of you looked into ShoeBox for photos?   I tried it but I couldn't stomach having to pay for a separate cloud service for photos as it is just for photos.

There's Unbound....  It's just ok...   Forevery just doesn't work (support flat out said "oh... yeah it doesn't work well with large libraries"...  facepalm).  None of this is pro software.

I've been looking into Sync.com but again there aren't really any photo management features besides automatic uploading from your phone. 

M S.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
Google - Bad support, too restrictive on where to mount folder and it's Google. They scan your pics and I don't trust them.

OneDrive - I have a free TB of space to use with OneDrive. Problem is that it is buggy as hell, has file limitations and have changed terms/services so many times I can't feel comfortable using them.

Unbound for DropBox is just ok... Forevery doesn't work with large photo libraries.

ShoeBox is for photos but does not do file sharing. I need file sharing for my business.

I've been looking at Sync.com but they have no photo solutions.

I have a Synology but have no interest in having 1 fail point at this time. Also would like a service that is compatible with Synology Cloud Sync. Sync.com is not one of them anyway.

M S.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Is anyone else having trouble posting?  My posts are being erased.

Gil K.1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
This is not a solution. It simply restates your decision. I'm looking around for alternatives.

Simone C.9
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Just checking if these posts are uploading ok. I have now migrated to google photos for the time being although from what I understand the picture quality is much smaller..... works brilliantly for sharing albums etc but not a final solution for keeping photos in original format.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@M S.1 wrote:

Is anyone else having trouble posting?  My posts are being erased.

Your posts are being caught by the spam system. I'll go through them and release them in a moment.

Need more support?