cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The Photos page is changing...

The Photos page is changing...

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I've just seen the banner that says "The Photos page is changing on 30 June 2017 but your pictures will stay safe in your Dropbox account. Learn more". The gist is that they are removing the final remants of the Carousel functionality - which makes me wonder what the point was in purchasing it in the first place:

"After that date, you’ll no longer be able to create or share albums on the web, or browse photos in the current timeline view. However, all your photos will remain safe in your Dropbox account."

Even funnier, it says:

"Creating a better photos experience

We’re continuing to work on new photos and file experiences on dropbox.com. As we learn more about how our users prefer to work with photos, we’ll launch improvements to the experience."

With these changes there will be no photos experience that is any different to normal files. If they remove camera uploads, that would be the last straw for me and I'll be moving to a different service.

302 Replies 302

Gil K.1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thanks for this piece of rationality.

webfors
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Just finished transfering all data over to onedrive. Not ideal, but their pictures functionality has the timeline, albums and sharing options I am looking for. Work pays for Office365, so the storage is free. I didn't mind paying Dropbox since we have integrated into our lives on many levels. Taking away the photo/albums/sharing/timelines functionality means there is little justification to keep paying them.

Karen M.6
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." What's the difference between calling your groups of photos an " album" or a "file?" How much of a bonus was an executive paid for THIS revolutionary , novel, super-ingenious idea which will surely solve the problems of the world? Dropbox is a no-brainer for non-techies like me,which is a major selling point. Who is the competion that you are afraid of? Also, with the new system, are you able to move the order of the photos within the "file?" I have not been successful doing that with the current "album" feature. ..... Now that's something for you to work on! When I forget to add a photo,I want it to be placed with the same subject matter, not at the end of the album. Good Luck.

Mike H.57
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

"We’re continuing to work on new photos and file experiences on dropbox.com. As we learn more about how our users prefer to work with photos, we’ll launch improvements to the Photos page."

.... Bahahaha .... isn't "how our users prefer to work with photos" OBVIOUS?

M S.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Something about this sounds really familiar....

https://www.dropbox.com/help/carousel-shut-down

Susan N.9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
"...no more album sharing or photo viewing as it is now." ??? What???????????????

I thought I was already using "normal DB mechanisms" to share and view photos.

This is awful.

Susan N.9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Flickr is where I'm headed now. I'll remove my $99 DB auto-pay asap.

alphachannel
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm not sure what they're playing at - perhaps they want third party services to crop up like photowranglr that sit on top of the DropBox storage but add extra value by making photos searchable etc. 

Or maybe they're planning to add a better experience? 

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@alphachannel, not sure if you are plugging photowranglr as a representative or just a customer (or neither), but their pricing is a complete joke - $50pm for unlimited!

Anthony A.25
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

$50/month to search another service? that is hilariously overpriced. i sincerely hope most people know there are better ways to accomplish the same goal for a lot less money.

Need more support?