cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Photos page is changing...

The Photos page is changing...

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I've just seen the banner that says "The Photos page is changing on 30 June 2017 but your pictures will stay safe in your Dropbox account. Learn more". The gist is that they are removing the final remants of the Carousel functionality - which makes me wonder what the point was in purchasing it in the first place:

"After that date, you’ll no longer be able to create or share albums on the web, or browse photos in the current timeline view. However, all your photos will remain safe in your Dropbox account."

Even funnier, it says:

"Creating a better photos experience

We’re continuing to work on new photos and file experiences on dropbox.com. As we learn more about how our users prefer to work with photos, we’ll launch improvements to the experience."

With these changes there will be no photos experience that is any different to normal files. If they remove camera uploads, that would be the last straw for me and I'll be moving to a different service.

302 Replies 302

Barbara S.26
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I like to grab and pull photos to drop into an email, not sharing a link but actually bringing the image directly in.  Is this no longer available?  It was important to me the ease that the recipient of my emails could view photos without having to open each one.  Is this no longer available?

Barbara

DocMarcy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

If I had the space and/or the inclination to download all my photos to my computer (to preserve my Albums), I wouldn't need Dropbox, now would I?!! I'm so glad I spent HOURS sifting through my camera uploads and organizing them into albums so I could find what I wanted down the line -- aaaaarrrghh!  😞

brasukart
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

All my albums are going to disappear tomorrow, June 30. All that will be left are hundreds upon hundreds of pictures scatered all over the place. I refuse to download several gigabytes of photos and THEN uploading everything again as a dumb file folder. Oh...and I'm not even talking about ending up with a duplicate of all of those photos!

I understand that changes sometimes must be mades, but we haven't received any answers on why you are doing this. If you are changing you file storage system, couldn't you automaticaly recreate the albums as folders? Sad to see dropbox becoming another data dumpster, and throwing away its smartest feature. 😞

currybum
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm not going to moan about it, having used Drop box for years and given them hundreds of pounds for a serice I was happy with..its time to leave, I have been moving files to Google Photos, still working through the featuers and family sharing but so far so good..the smart search is very good indeed. 

Sometimes you need a company to make a big retrograde change for you to bother looking at alternatives...they have moved on dropbox has moved backwards. 

Chris T.20
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Well it now appears the change isn't happening until July 17th, not sure how I feel about this (does seem a little incompetent to announce a change and on the day just delay)

drcd
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Using folders instead of doubling this functionality by creating albums makes sense. I'm looking forward to the changes and a hopefully improved interface, though the current one is already quite good.

Anthony A.25
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I don't think you understand the difference between a folder and an album. A folder requires a file to be in one place and only one place. An album adds meta data to a file, which allows it to exist in more than one folder. They are fundamentally different. Also, removing the ability to share albums means you have to duplicate files if you want to share them from more than one folder. If you're looking forward to this, it's because you don't understand that a major piece of functionality has been removed. You think this many people are complaining about an upgrade?

cdysthe
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
Maybe they have given in and just don't want to lose face hoping by the 17th we've forgotten about it? 😎

Pin L.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

If Photo features are well taken care, it can be a new something that can fight Apple's Photos. Not sure why Dropbox wouldn't want to spend time improving Photo. It is a pity.

cdysthe
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
It's because the money is in enterprise storage, not us maybe paying $10/month. I think Dropbox is making a mistake though since there are many storing their photos on Dropbox who also are decision-makers when it comes to corporate cloud storage.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

M S.1 Collaborator | Level 9
    alphachannel Helpful | Level 6
    Anthony A.25 Helpful | Level 6
    PlanetJuno New member | Level 2
    Darren S.1 Collaborator | Level 10
What do Dropbox user levels mean?