cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Photos page is changing...

The Photos page is changing...

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I've just seen the banner that says "The Photos page is changing on 30 June 2017 but your pictures will stay safe in your Dropbox account. Learn more". The gist is that they are removing the final remants of the Carousel functionality - which makes me wonder what the point was in purchasing it in the first place:

"After that date, you’ll no longer be able to create or share albums on the web, or browse photos in the current timeline view. However, all your photos will remain safe in your Dropbox account."

Even funnier, it says:

"Creating a better photos experience

We’re continuing to work on new photos and file experiences on dropbox.com. As we learn more about how our users prefer to work with photos, we’ll launch improvements to the experience."

With these changes there will be no photos experience that is any different to normal files. If they remove camera uploads, that would be the last straw for me and I'll be moving to a different service.

302 Replies 302

kfrancis
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Does anyone know how you can select multiple files from this new Photos page? All I can find is that you have to be in list view...I am hoping that is not the case, as that is terrible functionality. How am I supposed to select multiple photos from the Photos page and then move it all into a folder?

cdysthe
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
Well, they have killed our Photo segment of Dropbox in the process! 🙂

Drakhar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@kfrancis wrote:
Does anyone know how you can select multiple files from this new Photos page? All I can find is that you have to be in list view...I am hoping that is not the case, as that is terrible functionality. How am I supposed to select multiple photos from the Photos page and then move it all into a folder?

For what I see you cannot do that.
Current Photos page is just "view only" mode of your pictures.
It's not there for you to interact with your pictures. If you want to interact with your pictures you will have to go to the folder where they are located.
Terrible, terrible user interface and frankly a last nail in Photo segment for Dropbox.

kfrancis
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It's infuriating. After so much time invested in this interface, now to realize I have to move everything over to Google.  

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

kfrancis wrote:
How am I supposed to select multiple photos from the Photos page and then move it all into a folder?

You can't move photos from the Photos page. When selecting files on the Photos page, your only option (for mutliple files) is to download them.

kfrancis
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Right, but can't you choose to show in folder, and all the files you have selected can then be moved into a folder? If that is the case, it would still work for my needs--but I would need to be able to multi-select on the Photo page, where I can actually see the photos I'm looking at. 

M S.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

My very favorite part about the new "feature" is where you select a few photos that are lucky enough to reside in the same folder together and then choose to view them in the folder.  Good luck finding the selected photos if you have hundreds of pics in that folder!

As soon as I find a solution to version history (I purchase the 1 year version history plan) I am out.  This is really, really bad.

I don' t even care that much about naming or maintaining albums.  I JUST WANT TO CLICK SOME PICS AND SEND SOMEONE A LINK!!

It would be nice if Dropbox would say.  "Hi all.  We have decided to change directions as a company and will be slowly phasing out X and Y over the next few N.  We apologize for the inconvenience this will cause but our business model is not sustainable in its current state and we understand if our services no longer meet your requirements."

At least I could empathize with  THAT instead of sitting here scratching my head saying "WTF?!".

Wow.

kfrancis
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I totally agree with all of this!

Charlie S.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I stumbled on this and it makes me sad - or maybe mad?

https://www.cultofmac.com/216665/a-tour-of-dropboxs-amazing-new-albums-feature/

Looks like it is back to doing things the 'old way'...

Anthony A.25
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The most annoying part about this is the missed opportunity. Instead of removing the album/meta information functionality, it should have been ADDED for all other file types. Forcing files to go in a single folder is deprecated and has been for years. Using labels to allow files to be categorized multiple times would have been an extremely awesome feature. What we have now is just stupid.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

M S.1 Collaborator | Level 9
    alphachannel Helpful | Level 6
    Anthony A.25 Helpful | Level 6
    PlanetJuno New member | Level 2
    Darren S.1 Collaborator | Level 10
What do Dropbox user levels mean?