cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: iOS file manager doesn’t allow to move files within dropbox

The Requested Operation Couldn’t Be Completed - Dragging & Dropping iPad Files

Kirky29
New member | Level 2

Dragging and dropping error using the stock files app on iPad OS (13 latest) with the latest version of Dropbox installed. 

Each time I try to drag and drop a file using the files app I'm greeted with an error message: The requested operation couldn't be completed because the feature is not supported.

Any ideas to fix it? Or is it just another Dropbox issue that won't ever get addressed like the missing favourites bug?

Note, dragging and dropping works flawlessly using Google Drive, One Drive, iCloud etc. I've tried removing and redownloaded Dropbox etc. 36D6F994-FDC8-4B06-AA49-2E163310CA9C.jpeg

26 Replies 26

Kay V.
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

I'm using the latest version of the Dropbox App, so 190.2.2.

Thanks for your effort and best of luck!

Kay

Kay V.
Explorer | Level 4

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info @Kay V.!

Can you just clarify for me, does this error occur only when trying to drag and drop the file? Or do you get the same error when you select the file and choose the move option there?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Willeverywhere
Explorer | Level 4
Hi Jay,

I prefer to use the Files app because I can open multiple windows, I can do a right click, it is good integrated with iOS. I need two windows because I want to see my documents when I rename them, also I need two windows because I can drag-n-drop and move my files with no efforts between two folders, the move option is not really a good solution for me.

I found an alternative solution, I’m using the PDFExpert app that integrates really well with Dropbox, it not the purpose of this app but I’m using it as a file manager and it is working good for my need, they allow me to use multiple windows and drag and drop, etc.

I would definitely prefer to use your app or the Files app instead of a third party app.

Thank you for your answers

Kay V.
Explorer | Level 4
The error occurs on both occasions.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for that @Kay V..

Could you just try disabling and then enabling Dropbox as a location within the Files app?

To do this, open up the Files app and tap the "..." option in the top right and choose "Edit". From here, try toggling off and on the Dropbox option.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Willeverywhere
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

I just followed your instructions of disabling/re-enabling Dropbox on the Files app, and I’m still getting this error.

Kay V.
Explorer | Level 4

@Daphne wrote:

Thanks for that @Kay V..

Could you just try disabling and then enabling Dropbox as a location within the Files app?

To do this, open up the Files app and tap the "..." option in the top right and choose "Edit". From here, try toggling off and on the Dropbox option.

I tried it and it didn't work either, sorry.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thank you both @Kay V. and @Willeverywhere for your updates and sticking with me so far!

I'm still looking into this on my side and I'll keep you updated with my findings here.

In the meantime, the workaround I can suggest for now would be what I outlined previously here. Thanks for sharing your workaround for this too @Willeverywhere, perhaps if you're using the same app @Kay V. you can try this out.

If there's anything else I can help with at the moment, please feel free to just give me a nudge here.

Hope you have a lovely weekend ahead - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Martin_Zan
Explorer | Level 4

I'd just like to say I am also having this issue. Please fix this!

Need more support?