cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The desktop app is deleting my files after my external drive got disconnected

The desktop app is deleting my files after my external drive got disconnected

Dylanmg
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Please help!!

Dropbox has just started deleting most of my files and folders. It seems to have begun just after my external hard drive went offline, which is where I sync Dropbox to. Is there any way to stop it and how do I recover?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Dylanmg wrote:

Dropbox has just started deleting most of my files and folders. It seems to have begun just after my external hard drive went offline, which is where I sync Dropbox to.

And this is PRECISELY why external drives are not supported by Dropbox. If the drives goes offline while Dropbox is running, Dropbox just sees that the files are no longer where they once were, assumes they were deleted and syncs that deletion to your account online.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marcrebet
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello

Don't worry, all delete files are saved for 30 days, you can restore them. Go to webpage dropbox and restore them.

Best regards

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Dylanmg wrote:

Dropbox has just started deleting most of my files and folders. It seems to have begun just after my external hard drive went offline, which is where I sync Dropbox to.

And this is PRECISELY why external drives are not supported by Dropbox. If the drives goes offline while Dropbox is running, Dropbox just sees that the files are no longer where they once were, assumes they were deleted and syncs that deletion to your account online.

Dylanmg
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks, yes, able to restore, but doesn't seem to be any way to stop thousands of files from being deleted. Then have the headache of syncing them all again!

Dylanmg
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for the update. Might have to consider iCloud instead.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Dylanmg Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    marcrebet New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?