cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The desktop app on my Mac is stuck syncing for a long time, what can I do?

Highlighted

The desktop app on my Mac is stuck syncing for a long time, what can I do?

Helpful | Level 6

Hello I'm new to this community and need help with a synching problem; if anyone has any suggestions I'll be very grateful.

On my mac desktop my dropbox is continually synching - all the folders are marked as synching with the blue circle - This has been happening for three days now. Has anyone any idea how to sort this out?

thanks

Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: synching

Helpful | Level 6

Update:

Solved: Unlinked my Dropbox , deleted app, reinstalled and re-synched. It took nearly 3 days to slowly re-sync all of my files but appears to have done so successfully.

I hope that's the end of it.

It was nearly the end of my love affair with Dropbox. 

Trust dented but not destroyed....

Andy 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi there @ANDYB2, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Just so I can have a better idea of your set up, can you let me know which version of the desktop app you have installed?

Also, does the sync status just show "syncing", or do you see some progression in the sync status?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm running 105.4.651 on Mac Catalina 10.15.6   The D/box app just says syncing with turning blue arrows and no sign of anything actually synched.

Thanks

Andy 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @ANDYB2!

Can you try the steps below to see if that does the trick? This will fix any incorrect file permissions that could be causing the sync to be stuck.

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Account" tab.
  5. While holding the Option/Alt key, click "Fix Permissions".

If the syncing is still stuck after allowing a short time for the changes to take affect, please follow through the steps again and choose "Fix hardlinks" instead.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hello Daphne,

Thanks for advice. I tried fix permssions gave it 25 mins but it hung,. Have now tried hard links and it's asking if I want to Unlink This Dropbox.

Should I go ahead?

best

Andy

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hello Daphne,

Further to the above. I let the Permissions run for longer and after a few hours recieved a 'success' message; ditto with the hard links and received a similar success message but no change to the synching issue. ( I've not unlinked the Dropbox account.)  Meanwhile Ive manually paused syncing to keep my files in order.

Your advice is welcome.

best

Andy B

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hello Daphne,

The problem is continuing ... more 'success' messages but still continoous synching (which means it's not synching of course) and so my files and folders are getting way out of order.

I'm going to migrate all I can to ICloud, so I can work on, for the time being. Let me know if you have any further thoughts please,

Many thanks

Andy B

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Dear Dropbox Community,

As you can see from my efforts to date I am still unable to resolve this problem. Haven't heard back sincel last Thursday so I have used the community Discussion board to find a similar problem elsewhere which was resolved by the quite drastic action of unlinking and reinstalling dropbox.

I've tried that and so now I'm currently re uploading all my files to D/box which apparently will take two or three days.  My concern is that I will end up in exactly the same place with continuous synching.     Thoughts and advice from anyone welcome. I will report back in a few days in case anyone else has this problem.... or even a solution....

Meanwhile I'm trying iCloud. Not my preferred option but at least it's keeping my files in sync across my devices.

Thanks

Andy

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Update:

Solved: Unlinked my Dropbox , deleted app, reinstalled and re-synched. It took nearly 3 days to slowly re-sync all of my files but appears to have done so successfully.

I hope that's the end of it.

It was nearly the end of my love affair with Dropbox. 

Trust dented but not destroyed....

Andy 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @ANDYB2, thanks for the update, and I'm glad to hear that the issue appears to have been resolved.

Please let us know if you experiencing anything like this again in the future.

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?