cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

The desktop app on my machine seems to be stuck or very slow at syncing. Any ideas?

Explorer | Level 3

My Dropbox (shared folder-the owner Dropbox folder is in another country) which has all our files has been 'syncing' for months! Does it usually take sooooo long for files to sync? The files are not large. Some photos are 3MB. Its been at 1200 files syncing for more than 6 months, and I am on the computer/wifi all day most days! What is the point of it?

Disappointed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: The desktop app on my machine seems to be stuck or very slow at syncing. Any ideas?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @Blackette!

Actually, shared folders do take up space towards each member's account so it looks like you reached your account's quota. You can have a look at your account's plan tab to verify that if needed. 

At this point, you can either:

1. Upgrade your account  (you can see more info on our plans page)

2. Leave the shared folder that puts your account over its quota and ask them to send you a file request instead (if you only need to upload to their account) and/or a shared link (with view only access to the folder so it doesn't take up space towards your account's quota.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: The desktop app on my machine seems to be stuck or very slow at syncing. Any ideas?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Blackette; welcome to our Community!

I'll be happy to look into this for you so could you please post a screenshot of the exact status of the desktop app as shown within your computer's system tray/menu bar?  

Thanks!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Attached. I don't actually have anyting in my dropbox, I only use the Shared folder that is a paid account of 1tb and its not full.dropbox.jpg

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @Blackette!

Actually, shared folders do take up space towards each member's account so it looks like you reached your account's quota. You can have a look at your account's plan tab to verify that if needed. 

At this point, you can either:

1. Upgrade your account  (you can see more info on our plans page)

2. Leave the shared folder that puts your account over its quota and ask them to send you a file request instead (if you only need to upload to their account) and/or a shared link (with view only access to the folder so it doesn't take up space towards your account's quota.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Walter

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I don't see how that works, the files I put on his shared folder so that information is stored in the one location and his account is using only 10% of his quota, so then we'd be paying double to share the files if I had to upgrade as well?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?