cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The desktop app sync is stuck and won't sync files, what can I do?

Highlighted

The desktop app sync is stuck and won't sync files, what can I do?

Explorer | Level 3

I have tried rebooting, reinstalling, updating to latest, fix hard links, fix permissions.

I have completely removed dropbox and deleted the folder, reinstalled fresh and let dropbox recreate the directories i set in selective sync and still will not sync files.

syncing 5105 files

Version 103.3.380

uploading 1 file

downloading 5104

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Re: Drop will not sync files

Dropboxer

Hi there @Pyracket, I hope you're well today!

I noticed that the version of the app you're using is a beta build, which is shown with xx.3.xxx. The stable builds are numbered with xx.4.xxx.

I'd suggest downgrading from the beta version of the app to see if that does the trick and helps the sync to progress.

To do this, toggle off the option for "Early releases" towards the bottom of your account settings page here, and then download and install the latest stable build from here.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

sorry for the confusion, thats has already been done the version now is 103.4.383

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

The option for Early Releases has been disabled and still updated to a 104.3.170 build on its own shortly after my last reply, even going to the website directly after uninstalling and choosing to install dropbox it installs the .3 version.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

now its on 103.4.383 and still not syncing, ive went folder by folder and will not sync, ive tried to sync just a single file and it just says syncing a 58kb file for hours, view sync issues show nothing.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I'm having exactly the same problems after a Windows 10 update, with exactly the same DB build. After hours with my IT folks over a coupe days, and trying all the published 'fixes' for not syncing, and a lot more efforts after that, the final conclusion was that the latest Windows 10 update broke Dropbox and I will need to wait for the fix to come from Dropbox. Our institution (a university) has been flooded with identical tech support calls over the past few days; all issues occured after the Windows 10 update was pushed.

According to IT folks, this is now something Dropbox is aware of, but I'd love to see some public confirmation of this by them, and an estimate of when the fix is coming out. If this is true, I know this isn't a problem caused by Dropbox, but it sounds like it is one that will need to be fixed by them.

I need to access my files on all my devices and to access folders that are shared by many collaborators. Right now I can't do either one!

BS37

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for your updates here!

Now that you've changed back to the stable build @Pyracket, could you try just once more the steps to fix hardlinks/permissions to see if that helps?

Also, can you check in your desktop app preferences if the bandwidth is limited at all?

Syncing issues could occur for a number of reasons @bs37, it could be that you're having a different issue. Could you share your ticket number (eg. #1234567) with me here so that I can check on this from my side?

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I have tried reseting hardlinks and permissions, uninstalled and reinstall previous versions and the latest stable, bandwidth is not limited as i have had to resort to other syncing options and files sync fine with no issues, it will sync with the online only option but when you select a file it will not download it and sticks at syncing/downloading that file, i have tested on 24kb files a 2Mb file and a 1gb file one at a time and they all saying downloading but never finish.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @Pyracket, there is a possibility that a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains.

I'd recommend checking out these possibilities to rule them out. Do any other desktop devices on your network have this issue, or just this machine?

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Nothing is restricted, the dropbox program updated to 104.4.175 this morning and now it seems to be syncing without me having to do anything.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?