cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The following files are not supported by Dropbox and cannot be uploaded: .DS_Store

The following files are not supported by Dropbox and cannot be uploaded: .DS_Store

lorelei2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just upgraded to pro and was so excited to start dumping my files but was immediately met with an error: The following files are not supported by Dropbox and cannot be uploaded: .DS_Store

Some are psd files but none of them have that file name. I'm a designer/photographer so want to have access to all my effects, fonts and tools through dropbox. This was one of the main reasons I upgraded.

Here is a grab of the first one I tried: Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 6.16.33 PM.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@lorelei2 wrote:

I just upgraded to pro and was so excited to start dumping my files but was immediately met with an error: The following files are not supported by Dropbox and cannot be uploaded: .DS_Store

PSD and PDF files are supported and sync just fine. The error you received is specifically for the (usually hidden) .DS_Store system files that are created on Mac systems. You must have some of those files within your Dropbox folder.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@lorelei2 wrote:

PSD and PDF files are supported and sync just fine. The error you received is specifically for the (usually hidden) .DS_Store system files that are created on Mac systems. You must have some of those files within your Dropbox folder.

lorelei2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

There are no files with that extension name anywhere. From my research it says removing them can be done with a command line but is only for advances users... "The method described below will delete every single DS_Store file from a Mac OS X volume. As usual with the command line, it is for advanced users only, it is critical that you enter the syntax exactly as written otherwise you could delete other files. Backup your Mac before running these type of commands."

The files are simply stock purchases of effects and psd's that's all. I find it really odd there is such contrary information and I am finding no easy solution.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm sorry to jump in here, but have you enabled the hidden files to show on your computer @lorelei2?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

lorelei2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I read the article and maybe possibly it has to do with being in a number of other business teams. Suddenly another dropbox icon did show up. Since I just upgraded I only have a small number of old files on DropBox. My other teams removed me temporarily so I don't mess up their files. I will probably just purge it entirely and maybe even reinstall and start from scratch rather than continue to troubleshoot. I'm on a deadline though so will try again in a few days. I'll post if it works. Thanks so much for the article.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lorelei2 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?