cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There's this strange icon on my Dropbox icon?

Highlighted

There's this strange icon on my Dropbox icon?

Explorer | Level 4

Hello!

Today I noticed that the DropBox icon in the taskbar has got a stange red square in and is fully inoperative. Wondering wha that means? 

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Re: Strange icon?

Dropboxer

Hi @Teuvo G. - thanks for checking in. 

Could you send me a screenshot (without any personal information) of this icon? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Here is picture of the taskbar with DropBox icon Sieppaa.JPG

I have used it to pause cyncing, but now it does not respond to mouse at all. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

It seems like it should be a notification icon, showing there was a new item for your attention. If the app isn't responding, try rebooting the computer to see if this helps, and let me know if the app is showing up normally.

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Nothing seems to help.  I thought that what if I uninstall DropBox and then reinstall it.  Do the preferancies and my DB-folders remain

same as before uninstalling?

That inoperative icon just bothers me thou DropBox seems othervise to work. All files that I add sync as they should, but I just can not

find how to pause syncing. Cannot find anymore that feature.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Have you tried rotating the taskbar to being horizontal in case that does the trick?

Could you also let us know the OS's version, as well as the version of the desktop app?

Let us know what you find, @Teuvo G.

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I have the same identical problem. Red "full" square in my Dropbox tray bar notification.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro v. 1909.

Tried reinstalling app, moving folder and so on but nothing seems to work.

This is what I see

DropBox_Red_Square.PNG

Any idea in order to solve this issue?

Thanks,

Giuseppe

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Yes, just the same situation as I have. In addition that icon does not respond in any way if I click it (left or right mousebutton). It jus is there.

Earlier I could use it to pause syncing (Right klick > pause syncing). This I used when backing up my HD-files. Now I can't find

that possibility to pause syncing at all , though don't know how necessary it is.

However, seems that DropBox in other ways works as i should. All files that I add to the DropBx folder on the HD are syncin to cloud.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @Teuvo G., when you see this icon, could you try double-clicking the icon to open it?

Additionally, do you have a second monitor connected to your computer? If so, could you try unplugging the second monitor and then reconnect it?

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Yes, double clicking opens DB, but still can't find "Pause syncing" . may be it doesn't any more belongs to features. Anyway,

DB works and my way of using it is quite simple: just to preserve files that I want others can access, or files that I want to use with phone. 

I really have 2 monitors but disconnecting second one and reconnecting it makes no differece. 

Thank you all very much for your help!  

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?