cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

There was an unexpected mass file deletion. Any ideas about it?

Helpful | Level 5

Sitting here using my Windows 10 laptop, suddenly the Dropbox sync notifications start flying in about hundreds of files being deleted. I haven't touched these files, and no other devices that sync to my Dropbox account are turned on. Have I been hacked? How do I find out what's going on? I've checked some of the folders online and, according to Dropbox, they have been deleted. I've stopped the sync process and copied everything that's still in my Dropbox folder to an alternative location until I can sort this out.

Can anyone help, has anybody had similar experiencies recently?

Cheers,

Rich.

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Unexpected Mass File Deletion

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for sharing your concern @RichJ

You can always check if your account is accessed by an unfamiliar location from your security tab online.

You can, change your password and add an extra layer of protection with two step verification

To find out what happened, you can visit your events page

I see you already have a case with our restorations team and our agents have already responded to your request. Get back to them with any further questions, they can see events on their end and help you understand what happened. 

I wish I could explain more via the Community, but I have no visibility of your event logs or your account here for privacy reasons. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi, 

im currently sitting infront of my computer and it keeps doing exaclty this. Deleting and deleting files. 

I checked security, nobody is logged in except me. 

Everytime I click the restore button, I can restore files. 

But then the notifications just keep goind "ding" "ding" "ding" 

"dropbox has removed 150 files"

"110 files"

"250 files" 

and on and on it goes. 

anyone got any clue what this might be? 

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Hi @Crd234 

Could you look at www.dropbox.com/events and see if that gives any clues about deletions or moves?

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

It just says

"you deleted 22000 files"

"you restored 15000 files"

"you deleted 15000 files"

when I go into the details of each of these it just lists the file names, event as "deleted" and size of the file - no further info

thats where I can also click the restore button. 

I just closed down the client to stop all of this.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

You probably need to allow it to do the deletions (maybe make a copy of the directories elsewhere outside of Dropbox to be safe) and THEN do a restore/rollback.

It *should* be quick as they'll all go in your cache folder, but, if you try and do too much at once it all gets mixed up and may cause more issues

- - -

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I think you are right, my dropbox folder size has blown up like crazy too - I went from 900gb to 1.4tb now, on my harddrive. 

Fortunately I got an old HDD lying about, have started exactly that now - an offline copy of everything, and then I'll go ahead and let the process happen. 

Any idea what might have caused this? its just super shocking when its sunday afternoon and suddenly your PC starts going crazy with notifications that your dropbox is being deleted.

Thanks so much for hte help! 

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

The honest answer here..... not a clue

I once had a piece of software which did an update and went a tad rogue do something similar a long time ago - it was "helfpully" trying to pull everything in to its own folder structure rather than leave it where it was. But of course all i could see was deletions

- - -

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?