cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This folder will be instantly saved to your Dropbox and downloaded to all the computers linked to yo

This folder will be instantly saved to your Dropbox and downloaded to all the computers linked to yo

Explorer | Level 3

This folder will be instantly saved to your Dropbox and downloaded to all the computers linked to your account.

This is the message I get when I attempt to save a Dropbox folder shared with me.

To date I have just downloaded the files directly to my PC, only having a free DropBox acct. Now I have purchased a subscription.

I do not want all the material in the shared folder on my computers, and as this particular folder contains much material that will be added to over years; it will quickly exceed my 250GB laptop disk.

What are my options? I have just uninstalled the desktop app to save space and bandwidth and certainly don't need more stuff.

In anticipation, thank you!

AA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: This folder will be instantly saved to your Dropbox and downloaded to all the computers linked t

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Ah... If you don't plan use the application, only the first option lefts. The one that you are using already. :winking face: Yes, the other are related to the Dropbox application, if you plan using it again.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Re: This folder will be instantly saved to your Dropbox and downloaded to all the computers linked t

Hi @Aussie Aspirant,

You have done one of the options. :winking face::grinning face with smiling eyes: Another option would be Selective Sync usage. Preferences -> Sync tab -> Selective Sync. You can just deselect any folder, which better stay on Dropbox server only, not local on your laptop. One more option is so called Smart Sync, but there isn't guarantee for no local space usage.

Hope this gives idea.

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you ,

Where do I find preferences? I am on a Windows 10 machine with a laptop and phone connected. I can only see settings under my name and there is no Sync tab, perhaps because I deleted the destop app?

Ah... If you don't plan use the application, only the first option lefts. The one that you are using already. :winking face: Yes, the other are related to the Dropbox application, if you plan using it again.

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you @Здравко 

I have reinstalled the app and chosen the 'keep files local option' and deselected the docs, downloads and desktop folders. There was one file uploaded only which is a big relief.

Much gratitude for your willingness and patience.

Explorer | Level 3

Actually, the issue is not solved. Again, Dropbox is uploading and downloading files, including all the 3Ds, docs, downloads and desktop again, even though they have already all been uploaded.

It will be a ticket to the staff next once the weekend is over.

I am sure there will eventually be smiles at the end of this ...

@Aussie Aspirant wrote:

Actually, the issue is not solved. Again, Dropbox is uploading and downloading files, including all the 3Ds, docs, downloads and desktop again, even though they have already all been uploaded.

Hi @Aussie Aspirant,

What is the actuall issue? In your first post you talked about "Dropbox folder shared with" you. Further, you "do not want all the material in the shared folder" locally. That's exactly what my advice was about! Now you are talking about "docs, downloads and desktop". Which is something different! Seems you have problems with so called "Backup" (especially in quotes) feature activation, which isn't good idea, I think. And this feature deactivation is exactly what you declared have done - "reinstalled the app and chosen the 'keep files local option'". All right.

What is the actual issue now? Seems you haven't deselected the folder you mentioned initially out from "Selective Sync", but have "unbackuped" other folders. Dropbox is a syncing service and that's what the service is doing primarily - syncing. If particular file/folder is selected and reside in Dropbox folder, the content gets mirrored on the cloud and opposite is also true - any content added to the cloud somehow gets mirrored locally into Dropbox folder.

If you want particular content, added to the cloud (only folders are supported currently), without local counterpart, you can use "Selective Sync"/"Smart Sync". If you want some entries (either files or folders) residing locally in your Dropbox folder be left without a cloud counterpart, then you can move them outside Dropbox folder or use "Ignore" feature.

Of course, if your want to stop the sync completely, the application uninstall is always on the table. Another alternatives could be application stop and forbid autorun or just pause, for temporary syncing stop. You can choose what best matches your needs.

Some time ago I have proposed an idea able to make application' (and service at all) behaviour better, I believe - more intuitive and less confusing. You can take a look there and vote it up, if you want.

You can try clarify better what you need and what the problem is exactly, cosa your first and last post above contradict to each other. May be not exactly "contradict", but refering different issues. What is the actual one? :thinking face:

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?