Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Thumbnails are missing, cannot preview images.

jlbamber
Explorer | Level 4

OK, so I have the same problem. Windows 10, latest install of DB. As others have pointed out if you have a local version of the files then the thmbnail doesn't show. However, if I set the folder to online only, then the thmbnails are good. However, as soon as I do anything that results in a local copy being soted they disappear again. Windows sotres the thumbnail info in a thumbcach.db file and I am guessing that for some reason Windows 10 explorer doesn't identify local DB files as pictures but does if they're offline so it is some sort of bad interaction between the OS and DB s/w. This is pretty recent for me and have only had this problem in the last few weeks despite using W10 for some time on another machine.

MacRamsay
Helpful | Level 6

@Bobibo3 So you actually deleted the local files too? I didn't do that... Sure is a pain, now all my selective sync folders are reset too, after the reinstall 

@jlbamber Surely there must be a way to reset the thumbnail checking system at dropbox's end? I'm not to keen on the full reinstall... the point of this thread is to solve it full time, not bypass it, surely? @Daphne 

Bobibo3
Explorer | Level 4
Yeah, I know, it was a pain in the butt. I needed to let it sync for just less than 2 days until everything was locally available again. But I prefer that than to have to wait for DropBox to fix this in about a month or 2 (at the very least).

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey peeps, thanks for all your updates!

If you haven't already, @MacRamsay and @jlbamber, could you try the steps here to see if that does the trick?

If not, can you try moving a file outside of the Dropbox folder, and then moving it back in again? Do you see any difference in the thumbnail preview?

Keep me posted with your findings!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

egag21 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm having this problem too. It is such a significant unresolved issue that I might have to look to one of your competitors. I'm especially frustrated that your link to "try the steps here" in the last post is just a link to the top of this thread. We're truly in an infinite loop.

This is NOT an issue with the operating system it is an issue with Dropbox and you don't seem to be taking this seriously. I shouldn't have to delete and re-download over a terabyte of information to fix your problem.

MacRamsay
Helpful | Level 6

Amen.

I've now done all these steps including a painful reinstall and I'm still having similar issues. This is a major issue in the usability of a premium product, needs top priority and we're being told to reinstall like it's 1999... 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your updates here!

So we can have a better look into this, I've reached out to the emails linked with your profiles @MacRamsay and @egag21.

When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my message and we can take it from there if you'd like to.

Thanks!

Daphne

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

luckygoat New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm having the same problem for the last few weeks. Having to find a new way to complete tasks, workarounds, etc. It's really a pain in the rear. We live very rural and wifi speeds are slow, so reloading everything will take several days, which means quite a bit of down time for me.  Hoping dropbox creates a fix soon.  This started with the online-only sync.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @luckygoat, I'm sorry to hear that!

Can you just clarify for me, are you not able to see the thumbnail icons of "online only" files or files that are local ?

If the issue is with local files, can you try the steps mentioned here to see if that does the trick?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne

Highlighted

zonaarchi
Collaborator | Level 8

I have exactly the same problem. On every pc. Old one and new one with new installation. My employee's account have exact the same problem.

It is the same in images, pdfs, xls etc.

Adnotacja 2020-02-04 231610.png

And sometimes I have ugly black folder:

Adnotacja 2020-02-04 233444.png

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?