Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Thumbnails are missing, cannot preview images.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for joining us here @zonaarchi!

Just as a first step, can you try right clicking one of your files with this issue, choosing "Open with..." and try setting the default to another previewing app?

If that doesn't resolve this for you, then can you try refreshing your File Explorer window by rebooting your device to see if the issue persists (if you haven't already)?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

zonaarchi
Collaborator | Level 8
I tried that . Nothing changed. I set preferences in Adobe Reader to show thumbnails and now I see all thumbnails (pdfs, but also pngs etc) in explorer, but not in Dropbox folder

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your update @zonaarchi!

Could you let me know which version of the desktop app you have installed?

Also, if you have more than one computer with the desktop app installed, do you see the same issue across all devices?

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

zonaarchi
Collaborator | Level 8

90.4.307, I see the same issue across all windows PCs I have. 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the info @zonaarchi!

I've sent a message to the email linked with your profile here, through our Support channel.

If you'd like to do a bit more investigating with me there, please check your inbox when you have the time and we can take it from there.

Cheers!

Daphne

Melanija
Explorer | Level 3

I also have this issue since using Windows 10. I DO NOT have this issue with m Google Drive icons though.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Melanija, thanks for joining us here!

Just to check on a few points, can you let me know if you are having an issue only with local files? If you have Smart Sync for your account, do "online only" files show thumbnails correctly?

Also, can you let me know which version of the desktop app you have installed? Our latest stable build is 90.4. 

Let me know what you find!

Daphne

Melanija
Explorer | Level 3

I do not use the desktop app as it was too buggy. I use Windows File Explorer. I do not use Smart Sync (nor want to).

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update @Melanija!

For your files to be synced with your account, the desktop app needs to be running. It sounds like you're referring to the new additional interface, which you don't need to use as you can indeed access the Dropbox folder through the File Explorer.

In your system tray, you should see the Dropbox icon if the app is running on your computer. If you see it there, please hover your cursor over the icon to find the version.

Also, can you try the steps mentioned here to see if that helps at all with the icons? If you're still having issues after this, please send a screenshot of what you're seeing.

Thanks!

Daphne

benjamin66
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I'm having the same problem. I work on a laptop with limited ssd space so have online only going. i need to view thumbnails for my work with clients on site so not having them available is a major problem. I have tried all solutions mentioned in this thread and nothing works.

moving a file from dropbox into a normal, non dropbox, folder immedaitely shows the preview of the file.

Please help!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?