cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Thumbnails are missing, cannot preview images on local files.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

The thumbnails are not showing a preview for any of my photos unless each individual photo is openned. One of our work computers is fine but there are 2 that do not show the previews. Need this fixed ASAP

139 Replies 139
Highlighted

Re: Thumbnails are missing, cannot preview images.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @SLAdesign,

Can you let me know a little more info such as the device’s OS that you’re seeing this on?

Also, please let me know the current sync status of desktop app and the state of the files you don’t see the previews for (online only/local).

Let me know what you find - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Thumbnails on local files in dropbox don't show. Only online thumbnails are showing.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

For some reason all my local files in the dropbox folders don't show thumbnails on images anymore. Only icons. But for the online files there are thumbnails. However if any of those online files get downloaded the thumbnail goes away and turns into a file icon instead. Files outside the dropbox are fine though. It's only files in my dropbox folders that have been downloaded that lose their thumbnail. Is it my settings? Is there a bug? I've been trying to find out the answer for hours. Thumbnails not showingThumbnails not showingThese thumbnails do showThese thumbnails do show

Highlighted

Re: Thumbnails on local files in dropbox don't show. Only online thumbnails are showing.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Jinggo78, I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you!

Out of curiousity, could you please temporarily quit the Dropbox desktop app and see if the thumbnails change? 

• Go to the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  • Click on your profile picture or initials to the right of the search bar.
  • Select "Quit Dropbox".

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Thumbnails on local files in dropbox don't show. Only online thumbnails are showing.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi! Well I tried that and the thumbnails didn't change but I noticed now there are X's next to the files.  There doesn't seem to be a change to the one's that were already showing thumbnails and the one's that weren't still don't show one.

Dropbox problem 3.pngDropbox problem 4.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for giving that a try, @Jinggo78

If the thumbnails didn't change after you stopped the desktop app from running, this may mean that they are affected by a third party app. 

Nonetheless, I've followed up with a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile so that we can have a look into this behavior a bit more in depth. 

When you have the chance, check your inbox and we'll take it from there. Thanks!

PS. I removed some personal information included in your screenshots for privacy purposes as per our Community Guidelines

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Lusil Lusil, 

I have the exact same issue as @Jinggo78 . Were you able to solve this issue & if so can you please share the solution ?

Edit: I'm running Windows 10.

Thanks very much, 

Joe

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Joe86, thanks for nudging us here - I'd be more than happy to help!

As a first step though, could you please clarify for me exactly what you're seeing? Are you having trouble with the thumbnails or are you also seeing grey X's?

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil, 

Thanks for replying.

Like Jinggo78, most of my files arn't showing any thumbnails. When Dropbox is synced & unpaused they all have Green ticks, once I pause Dropbox the Green ticks change to Grey X's. These files are also not able to be searched by Windows Explorer, it seems to ignore them completely.

However, just like Jinggo78's example above, if I change the folder to 'Online only' then the Thumbnails get created & they do show up in the Windows Explorer searches. I can then set them to Local again & then the proper files are redownloaded & the Thumbnails & search works as expected.

So the simple solution is to just change my master Dropbox folder to Online only & then back to Local. Problem is i have 400GB of files I want to have local so i'd prefer another solution that doesn't require downloading them all again if possible?

I've already tried a full reinstall of Dropbox & once it resynced nothing changed.

I recently changed from using Windows 7 to Windows 10, and had the Windows 10 install as Online Only, to save redownloading all the files when i changed the 400GB's of files i wanted locally I copied them from an external hard drive with the files from my Windows 7 install which I use predominantly until now with it's end of life coming soon :(

Cheers,

Joe

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the detailed post, @Joe86 - it's as good as a screenshot! 

For the thumbnails, try opening them with a different third party app than the one you usually open them in - maybe that will do the trick. 

As for the icons you mention, could you try the following steps in the exact order listed?

1. Click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Go to the gear in the Notifications panel.
  3. Select Preferences...
  4. Navigate to the Account tab.
  5. Click anywhere in the window under the tab.
  6. Hold down the 'Space' key.
  7. Click on the Fix Hardlinks button (you may be asked for your computer's login credentials).
  8. Please wait a bit to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If the above steps don’t resolve your issue, please repeat steps 1-5, but at step 6, click on the Fix Permissions button, instead. 

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?