cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Thumbs.db files stops uploading process

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have discovered a problem.  I'm trying to upload many files to Dropbox.  I drag folders of files into Dropbox.  I have hidden files turned on but I can't see thumbs.db.  

Here is what happens.  Sometimes an entire folder copies over ok.  But other times there is a thumbs.db file and it gives an upload error and then the file after this gets jammed and doesn't upload.  It stops my entire upload process and I have to get out of the tab and start over.  When I start over I have to go deeper into the subfolders and drag one file at a time to avoid the thumbs.db file (not sure where it is).  

Dropbox needs to work seamlessly.  This is horrible.  What a complete waste of my time.  DB, fix this asap.

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Thumbs.db files stops uploading process

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

thumbs.db  are not supposed to sync:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/145

but your OS probably offers a way to delete them in specific subdirectories, and they will be recreated when you need them. So i'd recommend deleting  *.db before putting a folder into dropbox folder.

Highlighted

Re: Thumbs.db files stops uploading process

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Thank you, but I have view hidden files on and I don't see any thumbs.db files anywhere.  When I drag an entire folder over, sometimes this problem happens and I see a thumbs.db in the list of files in Dropbox being synced (with the upload error).  But I don't see the thumbs.db file in the folder on my computer (Windows 7).  When I go back to the folder and only drag the files I see, then everything works.

I should not have to delete files form my computer.  Dropbox is obviously seeing them, so they should automatically not copy them.  This is a Dropbox problem.  They are a sync/backup service and should know what to copy and what not to.  I shouldn't have to configure files I don't understand so that their service works.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?