cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Thunderbird popstate issues

Thunderbird popstate issues

NewCreationDave
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have seen the solution to the popstate problem with Thunderbird posted as simply removing the Thunderbird profile files from Dropbox.  But that defeats the purpose of having Dropbox sync my profile and emails across my devices.  Is there a solution which allows the Thunderbird files to remain in my Dropbox?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
And Thunderbird supports IMAP configurations, which allows your local client to read messages and the current state of your threads directly from the server. Configure each computer to use IMAP and they'll all read the current state of your mail account directly, with no need to sync data across another service. Read a message on one computer and it's marked as read on the others as soon as the mail client connects to the server.

Dropbox simply wasn't designed for what you're trying to accomplish. It has never been recommended to store live mail files (like Microsoft PST files as well) in Dropbox. You can, but you should pause syncing while the mail client is open so they don't interfere with each other.

I'm afraid this just isn't a problem for Dropbox to resolve.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
The issue I'm afraid is that the two are simply not designed to play well together - as Dropbox cannot work if Thunderbird is accessing the files. Also, remember that correctly configured email setups mean you dont need to sync anything as its done at server level for you (IMAP server)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

NewCreationDave
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thunderbird is a local client email program.  It MUST reside in dropbox (if I'm employing dropbox as my syncing agent) in order to have the file directories, stored emails, current state of threads, etc., synced on all devices so that when I open Thunderbird on my desktop, it is current with where I left off on my laptop, etc.  If I was relying on the servers for syncing, I wouldn't need Thunderbird.  If I move the files out of my dropbox, it defeats the entire purpose.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
And Thunderbird supports IMAP configurations, which allows your local client to read messages and the current state of your threads directly from the server. Configure each computer to use IMAP and they'll all read the current state of your mail account directly, with no need to sync data across another service. Read a message on one computer and it's marked as read on the others as soon as the mail client connects to the server.

Dropbox simply wasn't designed for what you're trying to accomplish. It has never been recommended to store live mail files (like Microsoft PST files as well) in Dropbox. You can, but you should pause syncing while the mail client is open so they don't interfere with each other.

I'm afraid this just isn't a problem for Dropbox to resolve.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Im afraid I do know exactly what Thunderbird is. It, however, shouldnt reside in Dropbox as email clients (not just Thunderbird but Outlook et al) are not intended to be in them.

You would still need Thunderbird to use servers for syncing as Thunderbird is only a way of viewing the emails.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

NewCreationDave
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Tnx, I'll check that out

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Speak to your email provider about changing from what I assume is a POP3 server to an IMAP or Exchange one.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Find Answers section here. ]

Need more support?