cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totally confused by basic set-up

Totally confused by basic set-up

Rudy Winston
Explorer | Level 4

Apologies for my Luddite-like inquiry here.

I am a photographer, and want to be able to simply create a folder with a subject's name (let's say it's a model whom I photographed, named John Smith).  I want to create a folder named "John Smith," put images into that folder, and then share or contact him, to let him access the images on his computer (or whatever device he's using).

I know this sounds hopelessly basic, but I'm having a lot of difficulty with an interface that seems (to me, anyway) very unintuitive.

I have a Basic dropbox account (not business).  I am NOT interested, at the moment, in using my phone for any of this;  just my desktop computer to create a folder, put images into it, link it to him/her, have an e-mail sent to them, and allow them to view and download the contents of that folder.  There are NO groups of people on the receiving end, just one person.

Biggest difficulty to me:  SETTING UP the named folder in the first place, THEN putting images into it, and finally sharing it with the person I'm trying to reach.  The screen seems determined to have me first link a folder, then send out an e-mail message, before I've had a chance to put anything into it.  

Any assistance on this most basic stuff is much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Totally confused by basic set-up

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi @Rudy Winston, welcome to the Community!

Can you confirm that you're following these steps?

If you do and still get stuck, I'd appreciate a screenshot of what's troubling you so that I can have a visual too. 

Thanks a bunch, Rudy!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi @Rudy Winston, welcome to the Community!

Can you confirm that you're following these steps?

If you do and still get stuck, I'd appreciate a screenshot of what's troubling you so that I can have a visual too. 

Thanks a bunch, Rudy!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Rudy Winston
Explorer | Level 4

Many thanks -- that did help.  I still say the overall system and on-screen view is less than fully intuitive, making it sound for all the world as though when you "share" a folder, that you're literally sending-out a message when you click that button, and -- again -- you have to take that step and click SHARE before you can start putting things in the folder.  I appreciate you taking the time to answer, and put the link to the article, which was helpful!  Many thanks, again.

-- Rudy Winston

Walter
Dropboxer
Glad I could help with this and I appreciate your honest feedback too, Rudy.

See you around the Community and take care!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

mrdoolin
New member | Level 2

Boy did you say a mouthful.  I'm on here, essentially to say the exact same thing!  Did you get any response or clarification to your difficulties?  I'm at the point where they are CHARGING me, for a service I don't think I've ever used!  If you can help, my email is [personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines].

David

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @mrdoolin, thanks for the nudge here and sorry to hear about this.

I've reached out via email so that we can have a further look into this matter internally.

Whenever you get the chance, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    mrdoolin New member | Level 2
    Rudy Winston Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?