cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer Entire Acount

Transfer Entire Acount

New member | Level 2

I started a free Dropbox account to share some folders I created to help a friend get organized. 

She loved the idea and subscribed to a 2T account she wants to continue to use. 

I set up a test file and made her the owner. However, the files in that folder still don't show as using any of her 2T space; but instead are using mine. 

I want to turn everything over to her. I don't need it anymore. Plus, the files need to be using her paid storage, not my free storage. 

Is there a way to give her everything in the account so it will fully transfer to her and her account?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Re: Transfer Entire Acount

Dropboxer

Hello @carlton9597, thanks for checking in. 

In general, shared folders use space in each member’s account.  

If you don't want folders to take up storage on other user's accounts, you can send them a shared link to the folder, instead

However, since you mention that it's not taking up space on the other user's account, could it be that they haven't added the folder to their account?

Let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Thanks for the speedy response!

They are showing on her account but it still says 0 of 2 TB used. Could it be because the files aren't that large? Does she need to do something to SAVE them to her account? She can open them and modify them and they show on her account; but does she need to do something more?

If I make her the owner of the files, will she be able to delete me from them and be able to fully control and edit the folders? 

I'm really looking for a way to just give them to her. I don't need them. 

Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift reply, @carlton9597

If she is able to open them and modify them, it sounds like they are a part of her account. 

As such, you can transfer ownership and then either one of you can remove your access from it. 

If you'd like to have some peace of mind, you can ask her to make a copy of the files elsewhere before making her the owner and removing you from the folder. 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?