cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of files in the cloud impossible with Smart Sync Update activated

Transfer of files in the cloud impossible with Smart Sync Update activated

Helpful | Level 6

When the Smart Sync Update is activated, files in the cloud cannot be submitted via Dropbox Transfer anymore. If the option is deactivated this function works with charme.

2 Replies 2

Re: Transfer of files in the cloud impossible with Smart Sync Update activated

Dropboxer

Hi @CSch; thanks for posting today!

When you set files to be Online Only through the Smart Sync feature, they become placeholders to your files and you'd need to make them local again to get the file's full information. 

This is why transfers work normally on files you've set to be local on your machine. 

As a walk-around, you can use a web browser to sue the file transfer feature for such files.

Let me know if this makes sense. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Transfer of files in the cloud impossible with Smart Sync Update activated

Helpful | Level 6

If I am not wrong, this behavior has changed over time. I am pretty sure that I was able to create transfers from online files before.

I finally disabled the smart sync update, as I do not find it very intuitive that online files cannot be transferred, although this functionality is provided by Dropbox. However, your workaround is exactly what I did when I had the smart sync update enabled.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?