cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring Folder Ownership but Folders Missing

Highlighted

Transferring Folder Ownership but Folders Missing

New member | Level 2
Hi,

I have transferred ownership of folders but most of them are not visible on the new owners account as no notifications came through to the account to open up the folders, either by email or via the Dropbox account.

Now I cannot re-share and manage the folders on the previous account as the ownership has already been transferred. How do I ensure the account that has ownership has viability of all folders it has ownership of?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Jennifer
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Transferring Folder Ownership but Folders Missing

New member | Level 2
Sorry guys I’ve just figured it out!!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
Sorry guys I’ve just figured it out!!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I had a similiar problem -I changed the ownership of a folder from my dropbox account to my husband’s account.

There wasn’t enough space in his account for the folder. As a result, we couldn’t see the folder and residing files under neither account.

The only option I had in his account was to un-share – which I was afraid will result in losing the files altogether, or to buy additional space.

That in itself I see as a bug – if there is a problem to switch ownership I should be receiving a notification before the change takes place. A system that does not allow to undo mistakes can not be considered a good system.  

During November 15-16-17 I chatted/emailed/added tickets with 4 people from support, none of them offered a solution.

This is definitely one of the worst support I have ever received !

Bottom line – after 3 days of ping-pong with dropbox support personal (4) and zero results -  I finally gave up, did some thinking and solved the problem my self, by creating a trial upgrade. 

Why is the service unacceptable, unprofessional  and extremely frustrating:

1. There was no knowledge transfer and I had to start from scratch with each support person, answering similar question and uploading the same screenshots repeatedly.
  2. After conversing via facebook messenger, dropbox chat I was approached by "B" from support as the “expert”.
  3. After another lost day, "B"asked me to send an email from my husband’s mail account to prove that I’m the owner. So I did only to receive twice an answer that the emails didn’t arrive. (sending screenshots to prove it didn’t help) I had to figure out by myself that you are probably checking the IP and then I sent the email from another computer and it had finally arrived -  If Branden would have said so, It would have avoided us losing another half a day.
  4. Now I was informed that I need to work with the ne3w ticket that was opened on my husband’s account – but no solution suggestion yet!!!
  5.   After 3 days of this ultra frustrating support, I decided to buy additional space on my husband’s account. This indeed solved the problem immediately.
  6. Although this isn’t a real solution in my eyes, (you have a problem – buy some more…) I still don’t understand why any of the support personnel didn’t offer it.

Conclusion

1. I no longer view Dropbox as a reliable solution for file storage
  2. From a fan of the service (which I recommended to a lot of people and installed for all my family households) I’m now looking for alternatives.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?