cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to link a file I own, getting "You don’t have permission to create a link"

Highlighted

Trying to link a file I own, getting "You don’t have permission to create a link"

New member | Level 2

I am trying to create a link to file I own. When I click on create link, I get "You don’t have permission to create a link to this file"

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Trying to link a file I own, getting "You don’t have permission to create a link"

Dropboxer

Hi @JEO1812; welcome to our Community!

It sounds like your shared links may have been banned; how long have you been getting this error?

Let me know here and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Trying to link a file I own, getting "You don’t have permission to create a link"

New member | Level 2
I actually don't know. I haven't tried linking to my dropbox since 2017

I have an email with the following:

"As a result of this notice, public sharing on your account has been disabled, We will reinstate your account's public links if your remove the file(s) listed above from your account"

I did remove the files they listed immediately back in 2017, I guess the public links were never reinstated as the email indicates?

I haven't needed to link anything from my dropbox until recently when I was trying to share a texture pack for Minecraft that I made
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information on this one @JEO1812.

I just sent you an email to the address that's associated with your Community's profile so we can investigate further. 

Whenever you get the chance, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?