cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Turkish character occurs the sync problem

Walter
Dropboxer

Thank you for this feedback Erkan; I appreciate it. Be it positive or negative, your feedback helps us improve our services and, as we're always looking for user input when creating the next versions of the Dropbox app, I'll make sure your comments are passed along to our dev team.

If there's anything else you'd like to add, please let me know. 

EDIT: I moved your other post under this thread to keep all the relevant feedback under one place and keep things neat within our Community.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Erkan G.
Helpful | Level 6

Me and my team keep deleting thousands of conflicted files from their computers. But they keep coming back. It is because only one of them used İ letter in a folder name.

We are spending hours to solve this problem but can't manage to solve.

DO you have any suggestion?

Btw, 

As you may see this letter already in computers since 40 years,

if you need UTF-8 , Unicode, ISO 8859-9 or ISO 8859-3 encodings you can check wikipedia.

http://prntscr.com/mx9c1x

http://www.wikizeroo.net/index.php?q=aHR0cHM6Ly9lbi53aWtpcGVkaWEub3JnL3dpa2kvRG90dGVkX2FuZF9kb3RsZXN...

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear about this Erkan and, once again, thank you for your valuable feedback - I'll pass your comments to our dev team for consideration.

In case you need account specific assistance, please let me know and I'll reach out to your Dropbox associated email address to work on this together.

In regards to your queries, note that conflicted files are created as a safeguard to protect your files should changes occur to the same file at the same time while they can also occur when a file is left open on another computer, especially when using applications with an auto-save feature. Closing the file from within the application on either computer should prevent further conflicts.

Spoiler

When changes are made to the same file at the same time, the first computer to sync the change "wins." The other computer's changes are preserved and saved as a "conflicted copy." The conflicted copy is saved in the same directory as the original file and the file name is appended the name of the computer that made the change and the date the conflict occurred.

If you are sharing the data between computers you must NOT run the application on more than one computer at a time. You will generate file conflicts and other problems.

Thus, the pattern needs to be:

1. Let files sync
  2. Start application
  3. Save files
  4. Quit application
  5. Repeat on different computers.

One workaround that can be used to prevent conflicted copies is to move the file out of the Dropbox folder while editing it. Doing this causes the file to appear as deleted and doesn't allow other users to edit the file. Once you're done editing, you can move the file back into its original location in the Dropbox folder. It will reappear with your edits for all users who have access to that file.

The other option is to move it to a second folder designated for "In Use" files. Other members of the shared folder can still access it if they need to, but will know not to make changes.

As per the files that are coming back after deleting them take into account that often when you delete files or folders, they don’t immediately disappear from every synced computer. If you have a synced computer running an application that is using the file, that will cause the file to reappear in your Dropbox account. Or, if you’re seeing a shared file or folder reappear after deletion, it may be that a person you shared it with is accessing it; in your case the person who has the character " İ " as you found out so I'd suggest deleting these files from that person's computer directly. 

For more context, you can check and see if another computer or person is accessing a file, by looking at the previous versions of the file (not folders). Learn how to check the previous versions in this Help Center article: https://help.dropbox.com/security/recover-older-versions

If you check the previous versions of the file and see that it was accessed from an application on another computer, you can delete it off of that specific computer to stop it from reappearing in your Dropbox. 

I hope this helps to some extent and please keep me posted on your progress. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Erkan G.
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walter,

This part are not true.

If anybody use İ in their file or folder name, all others start to have conflicted copy of that file. It is DEFINETELY not because some people work on same file in same time.

That letter is in computer world since 40 years. If you want to learn more info about this letter just google it or check wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dotted_and_dotless_I

Your way of looking the problem is wrong. lower case of İ is i.

That simple 🙂
If your coders can put a line of code that make "İ" to "i" that will solve thousands of people's problem.

however with "İ", there are no case insensitive equivalents and so the files are unsyncable. 

In regards to your queries, note that conflicted files are created as a safeguard to protect your files should changes occur to the same file at the same time while they can also occur when a file is left open on another computer, especially when using applications with an auto-save feature. Closing the file from within the application on either computer should prevent further conflicts.

@Walter wrote:

Sorry to hear about this Erkan and, once again, thank you for your valuable feedback - I'll pass your comments to our dev team for consideration.

In case you need account specific assistance, please let me know and I'll reach out to your Dropbox associated email address to work on this together.

In regards to your queries, note that conflicted files are created as a safeguard to protect your files should changes occur to the same file at the same time while they can also occur when a file is left open on another computer, especially when using applications with an auto-save feature. Closing the file from within the application on either computer should prevent further conflicts.

Spoiler

When changes are made to the same file at the same time, the first computer to sync the change "wins." The other computer's changes are preserved and saved as a "conflicted copy." The conflicted copy is saved in the same directory as the original file and the file name is appended the name of the computer that made the change and the date the conflict occurred.

If you are sharing the data between computers you must NOT run the application on more than one computer at a time. You will generate file conflicts and other problems.

Thus, the pattern needs to be:

1. Let files sync
  2. Start application
  3. Save files
  4. Quit application
  5. Repeat on different computers.

One workaround that can be used to prevent conflicted copies is to move the file out of the Dropbox folder while editing it. Doing this causes the file to appear as deleted and doesn't allow other users to edit the file. Once you're done editing, you can move the file back into its original location in the Dropbox folder. It will reappear with your edits for all users who have access to that file.

The other option is to move it to a second folder designated for "In Use" files. Other members of the shared folder can still access it if they need to, but will know not to make changes.

As per the files that are coming back after deleting them take into account that often when you delete files or folders, they don’t immediately disappear from every synced computer. If you have a synced computer running an application that is using the file, that will cause the file to reappear in your Dropbox account. Or, if you’re seeing a shared file or folder reappear after deletion, it may be that a person you shared it with is accessing it; in your case the person who has the character " İ " as you found out so I'd suggest deleting these files from that person's computer directly. 

For more context, you can check and see if another computer or person is accessing a file, by looking at the previous versions of the file (not folders). Learn how to check the previous versions in this Help Center article: https://help.dropbox.com/security/recover-older-versions

If you check the previous versions of the file and see that it was accessed from an application on another computer, you can delete it off of that specific computer to stop it from reappearing in your Dropbox. 

I hope this helps to some extent and please keep me posted on your progress. 

Walter
Dropboxer

Thaks for the additional information Erkan - I appreciate it. 

As I'd like to work with you on this, may I reach out to your Dropbox associated email address to have a better view of the matter at hand? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Erkan G.
Helpful | Level 6

sure, but i am trying to find a solution for this since 6 years.

Already opened 2 box.com accounts. They don't have this issue of course.

If other things go well, we will move to box.com as company.

hakans
Helpful | Level 5

OneDrive and Google Gdrive Supports Turkish Character İ&Ş&Ğ,

I transferred my important files to there. And its very easy and speedy...

Walter
Dropboxer

I just sent you an email to your Dropbox associated address to work on this together @Erkan G.

Take a look at your inbox (ticket ID: 9013465 )and we'll take it from there. Thank you.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tolga O.
New member | Level 2

This has been a very serious issue over the years. I have been a Dropbox member for more than 9 years now, and I just gave up that this issue will ever be solved.

My solution to this problem is that, when I receive some files from other people, before uploading to my Dropbox I run a small program/script which substitutes certain letters as shown below. When my team receives a zip/rar file, I ask them not to upload it to Dropbox but instead send it to me, so that I can rename the files beforehand and then upload them myself. This is my primitive solution to this annoying problem.

ç:right_arrow:c Ç:right_arrow:C
ğ:right_arrow:g Ğ:right_arrow:G
ş:right_arrow:s Ş:right_arrow:S
ı:right_arrow:i İ:right_arrow:I
ö:right_arrow:o Ö:right_arrow:O
ü:right_arrow:u Ü:right_arrow:U

Erkan G.
Helpful | Level 6
Hi Tolga,

This is not solution for me, software I mean dropbox must do it for you. and you don't need to change all letters, only issue is İ, others are working very well.
Need more support?