cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Two basic accounts - one for personal use and one for work use. I don't want them to share files

Explorer | Level 3

I have two basic accounts set up.  I have one that I strictly use for work purposes and one that is for personal use.  Both are the free 2GB accounts but because the two accounts reflect the same files, I'm having to delete things that I don't want to delete.  How can I keep the basic account I use for work have only work files and the basic account I use for personal have only personal files? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Two basic accounts - one for personal use and one for work use. I don't want them to share files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear of your success @Deborah66!

It's unfortunate about those files that you can't retrieve, but it seems that you've covered all the options for attempting to restore them.

If you have any other questions or issues with this then please feel free to give me a nudge here as I'd be happy to help.

I hope you have a great day - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Re: Two basic accounts - one for personal use and one for work use. I don't want them to share files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Deborah66,

If you have multiple accounts, they will be under different email addresses and log in credentials. This means that they shouldn't reflect the same files unles they have been specifically shared with the other account too. 

As a first step, can you double check that the accounts are indeed under different email addresses

If they're different, can you then please check to see if the files/folders are shared between the accounts? You can do this via the website by clikcing the "Share" option (which appears when you hover the mouse over the file/folder name) and within the share window, you'll be able to see the members of the shared folder.

Let me know what you find and we can go from there! 

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Daphne.  I can confirm that each of my accounts use a different email address and password.  In looking at the files for each account, it does appear that some of the files are "shared" to the other account which I guess is the problem I need to fix?  Can you help me with the next step?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Deborah66,

What I would recommend is to first check the owner of the shared folders. You can do this via the website by clicking the "Share" option that appears when hovering over the folder. If the folder is not owned by the correct account (work or personal), then you can transfer the ownership of the folder to the correct account.

Then you can unshare the folder which will remove it from the account that no longer needs the folder, and it remains in the owner's account.

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

It took me a while to complete this but I believe we now have success!  Unfortunately, it appears that one of my files from my personal account is empty and since I have a basic plan and since these files were apparently removed more than 30 days ago, I cannot retrieve them.  That's a real bummer.  I'm not sure how they were deleted, unless I clicked on something inadvertently, but what's done is done I guess.  Thank you so very much for your help!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear of your success @Deborah66!

It's unfortunate about those files that you can't retrieve, but it seems that you've covered all the options for attempting to restore them.

If you have any other questions or issues with this then please feel free to give me a nudge here as I'd be happy to help.

I hope you have a great day - thanks!

Daphne

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I certainly appreciate all of your help!  Now I can check this item off of my to-do list!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I have this problem and I can't fix it. My employer uses dropbox and asked me to join via my Gmail account. I really don't want my gmail linked to my employers dropbox. I want them to be separate.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@DHANLON1022 wrote:

I have this problem and I can't fix it. My employer uses dropbox and asked me to join via my Gmail account. I really don't want my gmail linked to my employers dropbox. I want them to be separate.

This is a different issue, where there was a shared folder between both of the OP's accounts.

In your case, it sounds like you've been invited to join a team, and the invite was sent to an email address that's already associated with a Dropbox account. If you want to keep things separate without merging your files or using your Gmail with your employer's Dropbox, you'll need to create a new email address and ask your employer to send the invite to that email instead.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?