cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK Television Documentary alert about energy consumption by cloud servers.

UK Television Documentary alert about energy consumption by cloud servers.

Explorer | Level 4

In a recent documentary on UK television a survey was undertaken on the numbers of photos and video files on mobile phones that were on "cloud " storage.   Many users were astounded to find they had thousands!    The researchers then produced statistics showing that the cumulative use of servers for so many seldom used photos, videos or other large files was resulting in energy consumption equivalent to fleets of motor vehicles or many aircraft.  
I have a free account with Dropbox that I understand gives me 2GB of storage space. Recently had a notification that my box is nearly full and I should upgrade.

Should Dropbox have a clear display of the file sizes that are being stored so as to encourage us to protect the environment by removing large and seldom use items?  If I recall correctly I had to use Windows Explorer to check the properties and sizes of the files in the Dropbox and find the culprit one!
The jump from 2GB free service that has been adequate for my needs  to an expensive 2TB service , way beyond my budget and   needs as a pensioner , seems to give priority to profits

2 Replies 2

Re: UK Television Documentary alert about energy consumption by cloud servers.

Dropboxer

Hey @Worldlife; welcome to our Community and happy Monday!

I'm not sure if you'd like assistance with something, but I just wanted to mention that you can contact our team for press inquiries by sending an email to this address: 

press@dropbox.com 

Let us know if you have any questions!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: UK Television Documentary alert about energy consumption by cloud servers.

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Walter for your reply.

I was not really after help but thought the Community might be a useful place to discuss these issues and get further information and input.

I will however take up your suggestion and forward a copy of the posting to the Press team as the source of the initial information was a UK television  broadcast.

Take care - stay safe 

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?