cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNAUTHORIZED CHANGES TO ACCOUNT

UNAUTHORIZED CHANGES TO ACCOUNT

Explorer | Level 3

ON AUGUST 12 SEVERAL FILES WERE MOVED IN MY ACCOUNT, AND I WAS NO WHERE NEAR COMPUTER.  I CHECKED THE HISTORY FOR THE FOLDER AND THE MOVES ARE SHOWN.   I WAS ALERTED TO THE CHANGES BY THE ONLY OTHER PERSON SHARING THE FOLDER BECAUSE THEY HAD NOT DONE ANYTHING EITHER AND WERE CURIOUS.  

ON OR ABOUT AUGUST 12 I RECIEVED A POP-UP MESSAGE FROM DROPBOX ASKING TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE APP.  WAS I HACKED?

3 Replies 3

Re: UNAUTHORIZED CHANGES TO ACCOUNT

Dropboxer

Hi @SEAJIM67, thanks for posting today!

I'm sorry to hear about this matter. Do you have any other devices linked to your account which could have made the changes? On that page, do you see any unknown logins to your account?

Can you see the changes on the events page, and if so, what changes were made?

Any information you can provide would help greatly!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks.  The Events page shows a 10+changes to the account.  Most of them are files that were added and one was a file that was shared with an authorized person.  I didn't make any of those changes.  I do wonder whether the update to the DropBox app could have caused these changes.  I received a notificaton about a change to the app on or about the same day. 

I did see one slightly strange connection to the account, that could have been me.  That connection had not logged on for three years and I disconnected it. 

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us here @SEAJIM67!

When you checked those actions in the Events page, it should notify you where those actions were taken from. For example, the website or a specific connected device.

Did these actions happen from the connection that you mentioned looking suspicious?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?