cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UP TO DATE isn't actually so, WHAT TO DO?

Highlighted

UP TO DATE isn't actually so, WHAT TO DO?

Explorer | Level 4

Ok, I'll try to be brief and explanitory,...

just upgraded from one computer to another (win7 with dropbox 2T -to- win10 and just installed dropbox)

I just upgraded to a newer computer with windows 10 due to adobe cc requiring it to fully function propertyl.

I was considering manually moving my 1.9 Terabytes of files from my Dropbox folder on my old pc with windows 7 ultimate to my newer pc that has windows 10 on it today, but i had noticed it wasnt functioning properly on the win7 system (thinking this was possibly due to the last pc upgrade i did manually move my Dropbox files) and so thought i would let it 'automatically' download and 'sync' them... and as i was installing the newer version of Dropbox on my new windows10 pc i noticed the price for 3T with business Dropbox and thought why not, only have to pay the difference since i had just paid recently for the year... AND THATS HOW THE FIGHT STARTED - LOL well, seems the folder names and file names all pop'ed on my pc within a couple minutes, but after a couple hours it went from 'syncing' to "up to date"... I thought, "You have got to be kidding me, 2terabytes downloaded in just a couple hours? and so i went and checked... it shows only a couple of "GREEN CHECK MARKS" mostly grey... what the heck?!!! Where are my files... I need the Dropbox CLOUD to sync with my pc as i selected the LOCAL option to have EVERYTHING sync LOCALLY on my 4T SSD drive...  - I hope i am just not understanding what "up to date" means... can someone explain? - previously happy dropbox client for over 7yrs

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: UP TO DATE isn't actually so, WHAT TO DO?

Dropboxer

Hi there @Mobile A., I hope you're having a good day so far!

From what you mentioned, it sounds like the files are currently Smart Synced on your computer as "online only".

Smart Synced files will show in your local folder structure, but they won't take space on your computer. For those with space issues, it can be useful to have the files locally only when needed.

This setting can easily be changed though by simply selecting the files/folders in the Dropbox folder and choosing "Smart Sync - Local".

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I would like to add that I had been using the DropBox personal (2T) with 2 computers

my windows 10 Laptop with a 2T SSD (sync's great with Dropbox cloud)

my windows 7 Desktop with a 2T SSD (seems to always have errors with Dropbox cloud and asks to restart Dropbox)

---

I replacing my windows 7 desktop with my new windows 10 laptop and the other laptop my wife now uses...

I have the windows 7 pc shut off...

on the new laptop (the one i am wanting to get Dropbox sync'd to...) i just did a folder 

folder PROPERTIES query and the size is showing 1.13 TB (as it should be) but size on disc 69.2 MB... WHAT????

both laptops SHOW ALL 83,089 FILES... but they dont both have them... ??

so here i sit wondering what to do... 

realizing also that this folder hasn't had a change in 7 HOURS...

Does anyone know what might be going on?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi there @Mobile A., I hope you're having a good day so far!

From what you mentioned, it sounds like the files are currently Smart Synced on your computer as "online only".

Smart Synced files will show in your local folder structure, but they won't take space on your computer. For those with space issues, it can be useful to have the files locally only when needed.

This setting can easily be changed though by simply selecting the files/folders in the Dropbox folder and choosing "Smart Sync - Local".

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?