cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT: Essay due next Tuesday corrupted and greyed-out in folder history

Highlighted

URGENT: Essay due next Tuesday corrupted and greyed-out in folder history

New member | Level 2

I was working with my essay in a word doc that's saved and synced directly to dropbix when the zotero plug-in on my microsoft word decided to crash. I seemed to corrupt the document and I am now panicking because there the crash somehow prevent the app from autorecovering my unsaved progress. Checked my dropbox and weirdly enough, the 'date modified' of the file reverted to days before the latest one I've worked and saved today. I tried to see folder version history on my desktop with hidden files allowed--there's a greyed-out newer version with modified date stamp much later than what's readily accessible in the same folder. I tried to open this version but it said that the file is corrupted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I lost 80% of everything I have worked on in the past few days and my deadline is coming in a matter of days :(

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: URGENT: Essay due next Tuesday corrupted and greyed-out in folder history

Dropboxer

Hey there @aadis_; welcome to our Community.

Do you remember if our desktop app was fully synced before the crash?

Was it reporting to be 'Up to date' within your system tray/menu bar or was it still syncing at that time? 

Can you find any version of this file on our website? 

Any additional information will be much appreciated!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

(edit: double-posted reply)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

@Walter wrote:

Hey there @aadis_; welcome to our Community.

Do you remember if our desktop app was fully synced before the crash?

Was it reporting to be 'Up to date' within your system tray/menu bar or was it still syncing at that time? 

Can you find any version of this file on our website? 

Any additional information will be much appreciated!

Hi @Walter, thank you so much for your response.

Yes, my desktop app was fully synced with a green checkmark on both before and after the crash happened. I tried to look at both the folder history in DB web and locally but found only the earlier version (modified 3/11) of the file. However, the hidden corrupted file which I managed to find in my local DB folder did not show up in the web version. The corrupted file's modification date metadata showed 4/11 midnight. I'm not sure why but DB did not record any history on 4/11, both on the web and my desktop DB app that there are no activities on that day--so I'm suddenly stuck with the earlier version of the file with only a ghost of the latest one.

I have tried recovering the corrupted doc but msword cannot seem to fix it. The funny thing is that the was no trace of any temp files (.tmp / ASD / ~ / .bwk) of the latest version of that document. The fact that I always have it and all other docs synced with DB without issue make this one very strange.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @aadis_, it does sound like the Dropbox desktop application wasn't syncing the file for some reason. Did you frequently save the file, or only when you closed the app? Since Dropbox only syncs files when there's a change to them, if the file wasn't saved, then it wouldn't sync to the site.

As the file version history doesn't appear to be on the Dropbox site from what you've stated, it might be possible to recover the file from the local machine using a third party app or service to do so, or even in Word's built-in backup system, if it was enabled.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?