cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu extremely slow sync

Ubuntu extremely slow sync

Hans P.8
Explorer | Level 4

I have serious problems with extremely slow sync with Dropbox on Ubunto 18.04 LTS. Have reinstalled Dropbox several times and also tried removing the .dropbox folder to do a fresh start.

dropbox status just reports the following after the first hours:
Syncing...

This goes on for several days...

I have removed all bandwith limitations, not using beta. Hardly any CPU is used.

Have also tried updating a file from another computer. It is uploaded to Dropbox but not synced to my Ubuntu computer. It seems to be stuck or extremely slow.

What can I do about this?

17 Replies 17

Re: Ubuntu extremely slow sync

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Hans P.8, thanks for posting on the Community!

Do you have any security software or other firewalls that could prevent the app from connecting.

Since you've already checked the bandwidth limits in the app, if you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Hans P.8
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you!

No firewall, no Basic plan.

Before I got to the "Syncing..." forever I've also had problems with Dropbox stopping sponanteously. Not running when checking with dropbox status after a day or so.

Did the avanced reinstall.

I did get some "chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on". Tried several times. Proceeded anyway.

After counting down

Syncing X files

Indexing X files...

Syncing...

Not reporting any uploads or downloads.

Did another reboot

After some time att 100% CPU, dropbox was down to 0,3% and stuck at Syncing...

If dropbox has some problems it should be able to report it through dropbox status?

Does Dropbox use certain port numbers? Can I have a conflict?

Jay
Dropboxer

If you have any firewall running on your machine, or via the router, you could try the ports listed on this page to see if they help at all.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Hans P.8
Explorer | Level 4

Don't know what to do. The linux firewall is stopped, dont't think that the router is involved since it has worked before and no changes have been done. I expect the dropbox status or icon to report at least some files that are synced, it doesn't report anything after the indexing. No problem with the internet connection. Can the beta versions help?

I've had similar problems during the years, fiddled with reinstalls etc. and got it working. No luck now. Can I install an older version?

I actually upgraded from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS to see if Dropbox would work again. It acutally got worse.

With 16.04 I had the problem with that dropbox died spontaneously but it did sync up to this point.

With 18.04 it doesn't sync at all.

Hans P.8
Explorer | Level 4

I also have a suggestion.

dropbox status should be able to report that something is wrong. Or alternatively and a new option for diagnostics that checks internet connection and other possible causes that prevent syncing. This would also save you a lot of support time in this forum...

Jay
Dropboxer

What message do you see if you hover over the Dropbox icon in the menu bar? 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Hans P.8
Explorer | Level 4

It doesn't respond to hover but right click shows the same as the command line "dropbox status", i.e. "Syncing..."

If I open a graphic Files window it shosw that some folders are syncing, some are marked green as synced, Nothing changes. The syncing seems to have stopped completely although this is reported as the status status.

Jay
Dropboxer

Thanks for the details, I'd recommend contacting the support team directly to look into this matter in more detail.

They should be able to assist from there on.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

paulfeakins
Helpful | Level 5

I had this same problem but if you start Dropbox from the command line you get this message:

Unable to monitor entire Dropbox folder hierarchy. Please run "echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf; sudo sysctl -p" and restart Dropbox to fix the problem.

And if you follow the above that should fix the problem - it did for me.

More info here: https://www.antropy.co.uk/blog/dropbox-sync-takes-ages-and-seems-to-be-stuck-on-ubuntu/

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Joe1701 New member | Level 2
    paulfeakins Helpful | Level 5
    ChrisBoxDrop Helpful | Level 6
    yasucool Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?