cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Drag and Drop from Dropbox into an email

Unable to Drag and Drop from Dropbox into an email

Dazed and Confused
Explorer | Level 4

I have been using Dropbox for business uses for over 10 years now so have been through many different upgrades.  But always I could drag and drop a document from my desktop Dropbox into an email.  Starting about 60 hours ago my team and I can no longer do so we get an error message “Can’t drag offline – only files right now. Please try again later.”  the problem being we are set up as local so this should never happen.  Has anyone had this issue before?  If yes, how did you get it resolved?

10 Replies 10

Re: Unable to Drag and Drop from Dropbox into an email

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @Dazed and Confused, welcome to our Community!

Can I ask how your files are set-up? As online-only, or local?

If I were you, I'd try reproducing this, while on a different WiFi, to see if the behavior remains the same. 

Also, feel free to send me a screenshot, so I can have a visual of the error you get. 

Thank you!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Drag Documents into Emails

Dazed and Confused
Explorer | Level 4

We had a DropBox tech support person look at it and he could not figure it out.  We are set up as Local and have been dragging and dropping into emails for years.  About 4 p.m. on Wednesday the error message started to occur.  The tech guy had me uninstall Dropbox and re-install.  We tested it once and the drag and drop worked.  After he hung up and for the last two days no one in our office can Drag and Drop.   One of our folks is WiFi, but myself I am Hardwired.  We are all linking into our Dropbox from a Dropbox Icon on our desktop.

Re: Drag Documents into Emails

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Dazed and Confused, as you've previously been in contact with the support team, I'd recommend continuing this with them directly for further investigation.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

agrady1012
Explorer | Level 4

Same issues.  No changes made that would have caused this...

agrady1012
Explorer | Level 4

@Dazed and Confused

I just found a remedy for the issue at hand and thought I'd share so hopefully it will be a fix for you as well.

Go to your preferences in the Dropbox App.  On the General tab find the "Open folders in:". Change from Drop Box App to File Explorer.

Bada bing, bada boom!!!

I really hope this helps!!!!  

Dazed and Confused
Explorer | Level 4

Perfect agrady1012 this did work for me as well.  Now of course if I wanted it back the old way I can't seem to find on the new way where the Preferences are, lol! Solve one problem, find another, right : ) 

DTMPG
New member | Level 2

Had same issue and was able to resolve using the preference-open folders in - file explorer solution.  Weird how it just stopped working the old way I have been dragging and dropping stuff for years!  Thanks for the solution!

agrady1012
Explorer | Level 4

If you're using the app window from the quick start menu, preferences are an option in the account settings.  

I tested mine when to verified it works to switch back and forth.  If this isn't what you're talking about, let me know and we'll go digging till we find the resolution.

natyeh4
New member | Level 2

One of my users started having this problem today as well; she's been doing this for years and it just stopped working randomly today.  Not sure if Dropbox was updated.  We're using the Preferences > Open in File Explorer workaround as well.

Would be great if we can get the old functionality back.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Dazed and Confused Explorer | Level 4
    natyeh4 New member | Level 2
    agrady1012 Explorer | Level 4
    DTMPG New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?