cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Move Files From Dropbox to my local drive

Highlighted

Unable to Move Files From Dropbox to my local drive

Helpful | Level 6

Good day.

Something has changed with Dropbox and how it deals with allowing a user to move a file.

I'm a long time user with a Dropbox Plus account. I'm using version 107.4.443 (107.4.443) on OSX 10.15.7.

My dropbox folder is stored (as always has been) on an external Firewire Drive.

The folder has completed syncing.

Whenever I try to copy a "local" sync'd version of the file, it causes Dropbox to resync its entire 2 TB database.

And of course... I'm unable to copy the file.

I have the setting to "Save Hard drive space automatically" turned off. Files added are selected to "Local."

I have all files selected to sync on Selective Sync.

I've rebooted the MAC, I've attempted to do a clean install, etc. However dropbox always resorts to the current cycle.

Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Unable to Move Files From Dropbox to my local drive

Dropboxer

Hey @gadgetgeek76, let's see what we can find. 

It sounds like something is affecting with the desktop app, which is causing it to resync every time you try to copy a file. 

Could you close any third party apps that could be interacting with the desktop app, including any security software and antivirus, and try again? 

Let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @gadgetgeek76, let's see what we can find. 

It sounds like something is affecting with the desktop app, which is causing it to resync every time you try to copy a file. 

Could you close any third party apps that could be interacting with the desktop app, including any security software and antivirus, and try again? 

Let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

Thanks for your response. I'm working directly with Dropbox support on this issue. So you can close this off here if you prefer.

I don't mind reporting back here, if you would like that for the benefit of the community. I beleive you are 100% accurate. It appears that one of the other applications is causing Dropbox to resync.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Yes, if you could keep us in the loop, it would be really helpful.

In the meantime, you can also let me know your ticket ID (eg. #1234567) so that I can pass your comments from this thread along. 

Lusil

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hello @Lusil 

It is Ticket #11509428.

It appears that the Sonos Controller for Mac Version 12.1 OS S2 is the software that is/was causing or at least contributing to this issue.

I have a music library that I store in a drobox folder titled Music. I have the setting to "Save Hard drive space automatically" turned off. Files added are selected to "Local." I have all files selected to sync on Selective Sync. The specific Music folder in question is defiantly selected as Storing Local only.

My Dropbox account is completely sync’d. The moment I try to add the Music library folder to the Dropbox app on my MAC, Dropbox starts to resync again. Of course, this takes a few hours. And… the Sonos is unable to add the library and it ends with an error.

Dropbox support basically suggested it was a Sonos issue and to contact them. However, I believe I have fixed it myself.

When I turned ON  "" in the dropbox web portal, the indexing stopped. It looks as if the Sonos Controller was seeing a preference file or "hidden file" and causing Dropbox to rescan the drive. Once I turned this option on, all is good again.

Hope this helps somebody out there too.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for letting us know what did the trick for you, @gadgetgeek76

If anything else comes up in the future, just give us another nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have an enjoyable rest of your week!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?