cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Move Photos Between Folders In Browser

Unable to Move Photos Between Folders In Browser

ndickers
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I've been having issues on multiple devices moving and organizing photos in Dropbox, within the browser (Chrome).

I manage a small warehouse without actual inventory software, which is likely my real problem, but bear with me. Essentially I have dozens or sometimes hundreds of photos grouped in various folders so my colleagues in our office miles away can see what inventory we have in stock. 

I take the photos on my iPhone 8 Plus which is kept up to date (just installed iOS 14.4 today), and then upload them straight to Dropbox on my phone (photos are saved as .jpg, not .heic). It is too difficult to organize the photos on my phone so then I hop onto my laptop, an ASUS running Windows 10 (sorry, don't have specs handy as I left it at work), and open dropbox in Chrome. I had been using Google Drive for the last year or two but switched back to Dropbox this week because my new client prefers it.

Once on my laptop, I opened the folder with all the photos and created sub-folders. Then I attempted to use the move button to move the photos into the sub-folders, but then I get the spinning icon and it just keeps spinning and spinning. I even waited over 15 minutes and the function would never complete. It worked yesterday, so not sure why it wasn't working today. I reset the router, restarted my computer, etc etc. I figured it must be the modem because I use a Verizon Mifi, not actual wired internet.

I left work early to go home and try to sort the photos on my home computer, a 2011 iMac, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 running High Sierra, plenty of RAM. I went onto Dropbox in the Chrome browser and had the same problem. I am not even able to move one single photo into a different folder. I just got the following, never-ending spinning dial. Internet and computer are working fine for all other websites and applications.

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 5.49.54 PM.png 

The Mifi is certainly an issue to resolve at my work, but uploading the photos on my phone actually went much quicker on Dropbox then on Google Drive. But I have never had this issue moving photos between folders in Google Drive. And because the issue persists on my home computer with high speed internet, I believe there is some other problem.

Anyways, if anyone has an ideas to how I might resolve this, I'm all ears. Otherwise next week I'm going back to Google Drive and telling my employer they just have to deal with it.

Thanks,

Nathan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unable to Move Photos Between Folders In Browser

ndickers
New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil,

Thank you for the troubleshooting ideas.

It seems to be working again today without having made any changes.

I will assume I am not out of the woods yet. I deleted any extension I no longer use, and when or if the problem returns I will try switching browsers and using incognito mode to see if that makes a difference.

Thank you,

Nathan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ndickers
New member | Level 2

Also, maybe it is worth mentioning, my inventory folder is a small sub-section of a 100+ GB folder that was shared with me by a colleague. There are about 12 of us sharing the folder and I am not the original creator. I have a 2TB Dropbox account, and I do not store any of the photos on my hard drives, aside from the original photos on my iPhone.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @ndickers, I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you. 

Just to make sure that we cover as much initial troubleshooting as possible, could you let me know if you tried moving a photo using a different browser or an incognito window? 

Also, could you check if there are any third party browser extensions or plugins that could be affecting this?

Give it a shot and let me know of any updates, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ndickers
New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil,

Thank you for the troubleshooting ideas.

It seems to be working again today without having made any changes.

I will assume I am not out of the woods yet. I deleted any extension I no longer use, and when or if the problem returns I will try switching browsers and using incognito mode to see if that makes a difference.

Thank you,

Nathan

View solution in original post

Lusil
Dropboxer
No worries, @ndickers!

If the issue reoccurs or you have any other questions for us, don't hesitate to give us another nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead of you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?