cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to access Dropbox via Files App on Apple iPad

Unable to access Dropbox via Files App on Apple iPad

TracyMB
Explorer | Level 3

My husband is unable to access Dropbox via the 'Files' App on his Apple iPad.  This appears to be since the latest Dropbox app update on 6 April to Version 230.2.2   I have the same Dropbox account on my iPad and haven't updated the Dropbox app and I can still open and edit Dropbox files via the Files App.  Any suggestions as to how I can get it working again? Thank you

14 Replies 14

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hey @TracyMB, I hope you're doing well this Monday! 

Does your husband get any errors when trying to access his content through the Files' tab on his iPad? Let me know the steps your husband takes when trying to access his content. 

Is he able to view the content under "Photos" but not under "Files"?

Thank you for gathering this info, and letting me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TracyMB
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Megan,

Thanks for the comment.  When he clicks on the Apple ‘Files’ app, he gets a list of ‘locations’ which are iCloud Drive, Dropbox, ‘On my iPad’, Adobe Document Cloud, and Recently Deleted.  When he clicks onto the Dropbox tab, he now gets the error message ‘Content Unavailable. The folder contents could not be displayed because of an unknown error. Try again’. 

Nothing happens when you click the ‘try again’ link.

This problem has only recently occurred and it seems it is since his iPad automatically updated the Dropbox app on 6 April.  I haven’t updated my app and have the same Dropbox account on my iPad and I can still open Dropbox files through the Files app.

I’ve been on a chat with Apple Support and everything is set up correctly for the Files app and they were of the view that the problem was with Dropbox.

I have deleted and then reinstalled the Files app but that didn’t rectify the problem.

I’d appreciate any help in getting this working again or if you know whether this is a problem with the latest Dropbox update.

I’ve attached a screenshot of the error below.

A4CEFC83-7852-42A3-8AD1-B42500AE053D.jpeg

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hey @TracyMB, thank you for the details you have provided!

I have to admit this seems more like a Files' app issue, rather than Dropbox. But let's try something first.

Can you clear Dropbox's cache, then uninstall and re-install the app, to see if the issue remains? 

To clear the cache on your Dropbox app.
  • Tap the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines) in the upper-left corner of the screen
  • Tap the gear icon labeled "Settings" at the botton of the menu list
  • Scroll to “Privacy” & select “Clear cache"
Let me know of any updates!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Dreaming_4_research
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I have the very same problem as @TracyMB. Furthermore, the same problem exists with Goodnotes, that is trying to "Import"

files from Dropbox within the Goodnote App. I can still "Export" from the Dropbox app to Goodnotes, but that is much less convenient.

As @TracyMB states, this problem is "recent" (say, past ~2 weeks). However, I have to say that the same problem arose sometime in the Fall 2020 (I forget when), stayed for a few weeks, and then disappeared (presumably when an update was made to Dropbox -- I am assuming the problem is with Dropbox since the "Content Unavailable ..The folder contents .. unknown error. Try Again" occurs with both the File App and the unrelated GoodNotes app. I do not understand what Lori Dropboxer says to address the problem. I have no hamburger on the top left of my screen, etc. Any further suggestion, advice Lori?  To:  @TracyMB; has your husband been able to solver the problem? Thank you. Dropbox_4_research.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to jump in here, @Dreaming_4_research. Happy Monday!

If you want to clear the cache on the iOS Dropbox app, you should be able to find the option if you navigate to the "Personal" tab, then tap the gear icon in the upper-left corner of the screen and then select “Clear Cache”. 

Let me know how that works out for you.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Dreaming_4_research
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for the suggestions.

To be clear, I have an Ipad runing OS 14.4.2 right now.

I cleared the cache on the Ipad:

- Going to the Dropbox app.

- Going to the top left gear icon and tapping on it. No personal tab there.

- Under the (boldface) "Privacy" item (below Passcode lock, Support, Dropbox), third item is "Clear cache".

- I clicked on "Clear cache".

- I restarted the device.

No go; it still displays the same "Content Unavailable".

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for keeping me updated, @Dreaming_4_research!

Other than clearing the Dropbox cache, have you tried uninstalling the Dropbox app, restarting the device and then reinstalling it, to see if it helps?

Let me know how it goes!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Dreaming_4_research
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Hannah,

Deleting the Dropbox app, turning off the Ipad device, restarting it and reinstalling Dropbox worked.

I can now directly access Dropbox directly from the "File app" and "GoodNotes" (via a left dropbox menu that pops up when trying to import a file from Dropbox). Thank you! That worked!

Any idea of what may have caused this to happen?

As I wrote, it happened once, but it "cured itself" just by itself when a new update of the OS was done.

This time, it did not.

I suspect it's a problem with Dropbox that it's not able to "get through" with its current app on Ipad whenever the OS gets automatically updated.

Thanks again.

TracyMB
Explorer | Level 3

I have tried all the suggestions and it still doesn’t work. I’ve now transferred my files from Dropbox and onto iCloud Drive which is working perfectly.  I am still strongly of the opinion that the problem lies with the last Dropbox app update. 

Need more support?