cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access Dropbox via Files App on Apple iPad

Unable to access Dropbox via Files App on Apple iPad

TracyMB
Explorer | Level 3

My husband is unable to access Dropbox via the 'Files' App on his Apple iPad.  This appears to be since the latest Dropbox app update on 6 April to Version 230.2.2   I have the same Dropbox account on my iPad and haven't updated the Dropbox app and I can still open and edit Dropbox files via the Files App.  Any suggestions as to how I can get it working again? Thank you

14 Replies 14

Dreaming_4_research
Explorer | Level 4

I would tend to agree with TraceyMB.

A colleague of mine had similar issues with Dropbox and interfacing with the Ipad Files app. Switching to ICloud solved his problem.

Also, the fact that the same error message is returned from Goodnotes (unrelated to Dropbox or Ipad os) and the Apple File app does suggest the issue is inherent to Dropbox.  My previous comments about how the problem arose, "disappeared just like a miracle", and resurfaced does suggest also a relationship between compatibility of the Dropbox app on Ipad and updates of the Ipad os).

I would prefer to see Dropbox work smoothly than using ICloud since I share files on Dropbox with dozens of colleagues worldwide.

In short: the problem is a pain and I sure hope I don't have to uninstall & reinstall Dropbox routinely, this is also is a concern given what TraceyMB says that this approach did not work for her.

guylaine
Explorer | Level 4

I'm having the same issue on iPad with iOS 14.7.1.

This is frustrating, I am wasting a lot of time trying to access files that should be right there. I also access files from iCloud drive, Google drive, OneDrive and DEVONthink to go. I have zero problem with those other services. Only Dropbox is not working.

I've reinstalled Dropbox which fixed the issue, but as other users mentioned, surely hope I don't have to do this periodically. We'll see a long the fix lasts...

Dreaming_4_research
Explorer | Level 4

I agree with Guylaine. It's definitely an issue with Dropbox. The fact that Goodnotes and Apple Files experience the same problem does indicate that it's a Dropbox issue. [PS: Are they going to fix it???].  Two things I noted:

1.  I think I noticed that the problem arises when one tries to import files "directly" within the app (e.g. Goodnotes or Apple Files) -- where the files do not show being listed). However, if you go straight to the Dropbox App, then the files do show and one can bring in the file on the device (e.g. IPad) through the Dropbox App and not from the secondary App (e.g. Apple Files) wanted to be used. Perhaps that speak to an interfacing problem between Dropbox and various Apps and the ability to Dropbox "to pass" the file(s) internally from Dropbox to the App.

2. On the following, I am much less sure: Just today, I was downloading some files that were on Dropbox straight into Goodnotes. Did it 3-4 times; no problem. Try a 5th time for another file. No file showing into the "Browse" mode. Nothing shows up (nevermind that the file I was trying to download was in a subfolder of Dropbox with other four files, two of which I had just 30 seconds earlier downloaded no problem!!?). Now here is the magic that I have, I think, noticed 3-4 times thus far. If I keep messing around; nothing happens and I'm stuck (as Guylaine comments) having to remove Dropbox, reinstall, reboot the Ipad and ... now it works. HOWEVER, I found that if the very first time/instance things stuff working, I just shut down (Turn Off Slide Bar on Ipad) the device, and restart 5 seconds later, when I go back to Goodnotes, the App reconstructs its library and now ... the files that were mysteriously not showing 20 seconds earlier (as I wrote above), NOW show up and I can download them. This may work for the next 2-3 days, or the next 7-14 days -- who knows?!  Somehow, as files get downloaded and passed onto the App from Dropbox, something/sometimes get's messed up and all files on Dropbox stop showing. Rebooting (not just pushing the "ON/OFF" button, but truly shutting down the device with the "Power Off Slide Bar" (pushing the "ON/OFF" button WITH the volume control) seems to fix it... Crazy!?!  It's still a pain, but at least, one has to contend with this remedy for 20-30 seconds pain -- as opposed to uninstall Dropbox and/or the App and reinstall everything (5+ minutes).  Lots of my colleagues are moving away from Dropbox because of this Issue and going to ICloud, etc...

guylaine
Explorer | Level 4
Very nice find Dreaming!
I just tried what you mentioned above, and pressed the on/off button (without turning off the iPad), logged back in, and low and behold, everything was working!! I didn’t even close and restart any apps (Dropbox, Files, Liquidtext, which is what I’m having trouble with). Took literally 3 seconds.
Oh and I agree with everything else you explained: this is exactly what I’m experiencing with LiquidText.
Anyways, big thanks! I can finally stop wasting time on this 🙂

guylaine
Explorer | Level 4

OK scratch that previous post above. It doesn’t work. This problem is recurrent and just won’t go away. Every dam* week I lose about an hour trying to fix this: close Dropbox app, close Files app, redownload, rename, move, restart iPad… Eventually it works, but I have no clue what makes it work, other than « time ».

I pay for Dropbox. I don’t have time for this. I just want to be able to access basic PDFs through the Files app. I have an hour of reading to do and what happens? I spend it on troubleshooting something that should just work. It shouldn’t be that complicated. Please fix this. Or I’ll move everything over to iCloud. I’m sure Apple will be happy to take my money.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

guylaine Explorer | Level 4
    Dreaming_4_research Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?