cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access files

Unable to access files

ricden03
Explorer | Level 3

All was OK yesterday and for many years but this morning I find my files are still listed (thank goodness) but they will not reveal. The files are MS Excel listed in Dropbox in Mac Finder and Listed in Microsoft Windows OS. I click on them as normal and nothing happens.

HELP

7 Replies 7

Re: Unable to access files

Pikamander2
Super User

1. Are you able to open Excel by itself? Dropbox wouldn't be stopping Excel from opening, but there could be some other issue preventing it from opening, which would prevent you from being able to open your files with it.

2. Are you able to open other files in your Dropbox, such as text files or images?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @ricden03, thanks for providing these details!

Are you able to preview the files on the Dropbox site directly?

Do you see any recent changes to the files on the events page?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ricden03
Explorer | Level 3

I am unable to open or send to Dropbox files with MS Word and MS Excel on my laptop. The setup is identical with my desktop and no problem with it. It is a permission thing that seems to have cropped up somehow or other. I think the solution is I have to reset permissions of Dropbox files specifically for my laptop. Is the permission to be granted with Microsoft or with Dropbox?  If you could guide me how to do this I would be very grateful.

Regards

Richard 

ricden03
Explorer | Level 3

It is very strange. I can access all files on Dropbox site but they do not open the default Excel or Word apps. They will open pdf or xls but not connect with the default apps. Some how or other the path has got changed.  I must have done something somewhere somehow but it's beyond me to know how to fix it. If you can guide me I will be very grateful.

Thanks

Richard

Jay
Dropboxer
Is it possible that you have associated the files to another app on your machine, so they won't open in Excel?

If you open Excel directly, can you load the Excel file from the Dropbox folder? 

What app is attempting to open the Excel/Word files?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Abipens
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem.

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @Abipens, sorry to hear about this.

Just FYI this is a recent issue and our team is looking into it.

For more information, you can check our status page and subscribe to receive email updates on the issue.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    Abipens New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropboxer
    ricden03 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?