cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unable to access shared folders in 3TB account from basic account

Explorer | Level 3

Hello

We set up a 3TB family account for shared files including photographs, videos etc. My husband is the primary owner but I need access to the shared folder to able to view and to be able drop documents, photographs etc into the shared folder.  The family account is 3TB whereas I have a basic account.  My husband has shared a number of folders with me but I am unable to access and I am getting an error message asking that I upgrade to 3TB in order to be able to access these files. That doesn’t seem right as I should be able to access the shared folders without upgrading - that has been my past experience with Dropbox and with related file-sharing applications like Google drive.  Please advise.

SS2019-1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Unable to access shared folders in 3TB account from basic account

Super Collaborator | Level 20

HI @SS2019-1 ,
Why you are using alternative account? You are family and I can't see any reason 2 accounts be used. Problem comes up because shared folder size counts to all participants, not only to the owner! 😒Dropbox drawback. Another solution could be usage of shared links and file requests.
Hope this gives an idea.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

The shared folder/files will take up space in everyone's account who has access to it. Hence, you cannot access these files in offline mode / using the Desktop app if you do not have the 3TB a/c.

Having said that, you can access them online by logging into your Dropbox a/c using your internet browser.

Happy Dropboxing!

Highlighted

HI @SS2019-1 ,
Why you are using alternative account? You are family and I can't see any reason 2 accounts be used. Problem comes up because shared folder size counts to all participants, not only to the owner! 😒Dropbox drawback. Another solution could be usage of shared links and file requests.
Hope this gives an idea.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks but i can’t access them online either. 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks - completely counter-intuitive and unhelpful for shared Dropbox folders to take up space in everyone’s account besides the primary account holder! Seems to me a major drawback of Dropbox.  Do shared links and file requests allow one to drop data into the primary folder?

Highlighted

Shared links and file requests don't engage space in other accounts (actually other account isn't required), so - yes. 😉 Try it.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?