cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to attach as a file

Unable to attach as a file

BusyNurse
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I have been using Dropbox for several years now and up until last week I had 2 options when trying to send my files via email: attach as a file or upload a link. I no longer have the “attach a file” option. The people I work with do not use Dropbox and have no interest in the added steps to access the files I send. Please help me restore my ability to attach the file to my emails
41 Replies 41

Lambi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi the problem with your method is it can only attach one file to an email. Is there a solution or workaround to attach multiple

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
No. You have never been able to export more than one file at a time using the Dropbox app. If Outlook previously allowed you to attach multiple files, then you need to talk to Microsoft.

Orchidtreelady
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I would like to know if you find a solution to this. I’m having the same issue

mwaugh124
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I had the strangest thing happen last week with attaching a file from Outlook on my iPhone. After attaching and sending the person had access to my entire folder instead of the one file I selected. I chatted with support who insisted I must have created a link to my folder in error. Was disappointed at their response so didn’t share for about a week hoping issue was one time. Tried again today and same thing happened. Noticed also the option of attaching the file instead of a link now gone.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

A person can only have access to the specific item that was linked to. If they're seeing an entire folder, then the link was to the folder and not a file within it. Also, if you're testing the link yourself, YOU will see your entire folder because you're already logged in to Dropbox. A recipient of a link will not see that.

Microsoft seems to have changed the functionality within Outlook. The ability to attach a file directly no longer exists within Outlook. You can still attach a file to an email, but you need to initiate it from Dropbox by first opening the file, selecting the Export option and choosing Outlook. This will start a new email with the file as an attachment, not a link.

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I've been looking into this over the last week, just came across this thread.

In short, @Rich is right. This is Microsoft functionality that we have no control over. 

Paddy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Rich,

if the problem is with outlook, how come i can still attach files from dropbox from my laptop. The issue only seems to be when i try and do it from my ipad. Which as luck would have it, is the main thing I use for work related emails.. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Paddy wrote:

if the problem is with outlook, how come i can still attach files from dropbox from my laptop. The issue only seems to be when i try and do it from my ipad.

The two are unrelated. The app on your iPad is not the same as the application on your laptop. They use different technologies and a different process for attaching files. Basically, they don't work the same way so you can't compare one to the other.

This is a Microsoft issue within their app that only they can resolve.

Vltripp7500
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have have the same issue. I have found that I can attach the file from another storage location, such as OneDrive, just not dropbox. I have been saving my files in OneDrive instead of Dropbox and everything has been working fine. It just seems to be a problem between outlook and dropbox.  This is a pain because Dropbox is much easier to use than OneDrive for me. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Vltripp7500 wrote:

It just seems to be a problem between outlook and dropbox.

It is not a problem between Outlook and Dropbox. The ability to attach a file from Dropbox no longer exists in Outlook.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ArlynAA Explorer | Level 3
    SMITH255 New member | Level 2
    LaurelK New member | Level 2
    Wiggithoney New member | Level 2
    PropertyVine New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?