cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to move Dropbox Paper Folder to another Folder

Unable to move Dropbox Paper Folder to another Folder

StephenG
Helpful | Level 5

I am trying to move a Folder in Dropbox Paper from the top level into another folder (I am selecting the check box next to it, choosing "Move" from the bottom of the screen, then selecting the target folder and clicking "Move")

However I get an error message at the bottom saying: "1 folder couldn't be moved OK, close this."  but no indication of what the error actually is.

What could cause such an error?

9 Replies 9

Re: Unable to move Dropbox Paper Folder to another Folder

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @StephenG,

Could you try performing the same action when using another web browser? If you get the same error message then perhaps trying an incognito/private window might do the trick.

Otherwise, I'd suggest trying to clear your browser's cache and trying to move the folder again to see if the behaviour persists. The error message as you mentioned is very vague so with the above steps we can rule out most browser specific issues.

Let me know how it goes - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

StephenG
Helpful | Level 5

Have tried all of thoise options but still, I get the same error message at the bottom (and the folder has not moved)

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @StephenG,

Are either of the folders you're moving/moving to shared at all? Or are you the only one with access to both of those folders?

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

StephenG
Helpful | Level 5

Yes, the folder I am trying to move was shared by someone else. The folder I'm trying to move into is shared with a different person, however I also tried moving it to a folder that's not shared with anyone and I still got the same error

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying that @StephenG!

Is it possible that you only have viewing rights to one of the Paper docs within the folder that you're trying to move? Or have you been given edit access to all the Paper docs within?

We may need to look into this further through our Support channel so that we can look at the specifics in more detail. Please do let me know what you find and we'll go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

StephenG
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Daphne,

the folder I'm trying to move so far only has four subfolders within it but none of them have any docuements yet. As far as I understand, Folders have only one level of sharing.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the info @StephenG!

I've reached out to your email address associated with your Community profile so that we can look into this in some more depth. If you'd like continue looking into this, please just check your inbox when you have the time and we can go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Sarah32
New member | Level 2

Hello - I'm having the same issue. We are trying to reorganize our groups files in a large group file and I'm unable to move many of them. I just get the same error "1 folder couldn't be moved" and no reason as to why. Others in the group have also tried with no luck. 

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @Sarah32; thanks for joining the discussion here and sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

If this is still happening, could you send us a screenshot of the exact error you get so we can have a further look?

Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    Sarah32 New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropboxer
    StephenG Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?