cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to remove old backup

Unable to remove old backup

New member | Level 2

Hi All,

I'm having an issue that I have not even the slightest idea of how to solve..

When dropbox was initially installed and setup the PC name was "example_pc". During this setup the backup function was selected and two folders were selected to be backup. All was well... Then the PC name was changed to "changed_pc" during a restore I believe and now I can't change the settings of the sync at all.. nor can I more importanly actually delete to back up files off dropbox full stop! I just get an error saying something about the computer name having had been change from "example_pc". I've tried through the application and on the website and I cant seem to find how to fix the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

Re: Unable to remove old backup

New member | Level 2

***** UPDATE / ADDITIONAL INFO ***************

Sorry upon further check the PC name was not change as previously thought.. It still the same as it was!

So when I go into the desktop applications prefrences and go to manage backup and select both folders I wish to stop backing up and remove from drop box, this is what I see

drpboxerror.jpg

Ideas or thoughts?

Thanks again

Re: Unable to remove old backup

Dropboxer

Hey @EssentiallyKeto, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

From the screenshot that you sent there, it appears that the backup is not currently enabled on your computer.

Can you let me know if you can just drag and drop the files from within the "My PC" folder through your File Explorer, to another location outside of the Dropbox folder?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?