cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore default location to most files after uninstalling Dropbox (files have x marks)

Unable to restore default location to most files after uninstalling Dropbox (files have x marks)

ajn1
New member | Level 2

I uninstalled Dropbox Basic and now most of my files are seemingly corrupted. They have the dreaded grey x mark and I cannot restore the default location of folders like Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc. The word 'Dropbox' is seen in the file location path even though I uninstalled Dropbox Basic from my computer. Below is an example of what I mean. This is a folder within Desktop and most of them have the grey x mark. The 4 on the right don't have it because those files were made AFTER I uninstalled Dropbox (which makes sense I guess). It's the files that I had BEFORE uninstalling Dropbox that got corrupted. Also, notice the blue highlighted file path: it has 'Dropbox' in it, even though I uninstalled it.x icons.jpg

So, I figured, why not retrace the file path, find the folder labeled 'Dropbox' and delete it? Turns out that this folder is nearly 50 GB and might be the source of the problem (not sure). But when I tried to delete it, it shows me the following error:what does this even mean.JPG

Which makes no sense whatsoever. I made sure to close any open programs or files or folders or anything really (even File Explorer itself right after this message popped up) and even then, the error persists.

I'm guessing this has happened because I may have enabled computer backup during Dropbox Basic setup (can't really remember). Either way, please let me know what can be done. I have rebooted my computer several times but it doesn't seem to work. Do I have to go into the system registry and convert all the key values to 0 or something? 

Really need some help because I have SEVERAL files that have been corrupted, not just the ones shown in the first screenshot. I know I can download them from my account, but I also want to either re-access the corrupted files or delete them for convenience.

1 Reply 1

Re: Unable to restore default location to most files after uninstalling Dropbox (files have x marks)

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @ajn1, thanks for messaging the Community!

You won't be able to delete the Dropbox folder that way, since your entire Desktop folder is now associated to within that folder, and it isn't possible to delete system folders.

Could you try restoring the default folder locations by right clicking the Desktop folder from the Quick access column (for instance), then Properties, Location, and then 'Restore default'.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?