cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to turn off smart sync / unable to make a large set of files local

Unable to turn off smart sync / unable to make a large set of files local

Explorer | Level 3

I have installed the dropbox (v84.4.170) on windows 10 and I am unable to force it to sync my files locally.  I have turned off smart sync in the prefrences but I still get most files online only.  I want everything to be downloaded whether I have used the files recently or not.  Additionally, when I attempt to make a large set of files local (using the drop down menu from right clicking in the file explorer) it does not work.  In this case I am trying to make my music collection of about 8000 songs local, and I only seem to be able to make 100 or so local at a time (which is not very fun).  What do I need to do to get it to just download the whole folder to my hard drive, or better yet disable smart sync all together so everything gets downloaded?

8 Replies 8

Re: Unable to turn off smart sync / unable to make a large set of files local

Dropboxer

Hey there @bs1991, thanks for reaching out to us! 

When you convert content from online-only to local, the number of files you have in your Dropbox folder can affect the time it takes to complete syncing.

If you want to disable Smart Sync completely, you can opt out, or you can set your Smart Sync default to local, so that all your content is fully synced to your hard drive. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Right, I understand that it will take hours or days for all my files to sync, but what I am saying is that nothing happens when I attempt to convert all 8000 files at once from online only to local.  No syncing starts, as opposed to when I convert 100 or so at a time. I turned my smart sync off and set the default to local, but I am still getting most of my files as online only.  I even tried re-adding them with the selective sync by unchecking all my folders, waiting for them to be removed, and then re-adding them.  I looked at opting out per your linked instructions, but does that I can't use the dropbox application at all? 

Dropboxer

Thanks for writing back, @bs1991

When you choose to sync folders from your selective sync settings, those folders should be automatically placed into your Dropbox folder as online-only.

Also, opting out of Smart Sync will only disable the options to use it, but you'll still be able to use the Dropbox desktop app and it's features. 

However, if you've set your deafult Smart Sync settings to local and your files are still synced as online-only, could you try reinstalling the desktop app? Maybe that'll do the trick. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

I found this post via a Google search but I'm unable to do this. There's no system extension setting on the General page of Dropbox settings (I have a 2TB limit and a paid account so I'm assuming this is Plus as required?).

Dropboxer

Hi @robotronald, thanks for nudging us. 

This option should be on the General tab on the website at the very bottom. 

If you can't find it, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see? 

Thanks! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

New member | Level 2

I was looking on the Windows app. I've checked on the web app and couldn't see a 'General' tab but saw a 'Preferences' tab?

I've looked in there and saw I could disable 'Dropbox system extension'. I've disabled that, so will it disable smartsync on all my PCs or is any other action required?

Untitled.png

Dropboxer

You're right, @robotronald. Opting out of the system extension, as you show in your screenshot, will disable Smart Sync. 

If you have any other questions, just give me a shout. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

New member | Level 2

I've had a problem with this too. I don't want my files on my main computer to be 'only' in the cloud, I want originals on my computer and use Dropbox as a backup. Smart Sync is good for my laptop and iPad, but not main computer.

What I've done is gone to the main Dropbox folder on my PC and right clicked and then clicked on the Smart Sync option and chosen [Local]. It now seems to be syncing and - I am assuming - downloading the files. 

Hope it works, will see tomorrow.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?