cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to unfreeze my Basic Account 'I'm out of space'

Unable to unfreeze my Basic Account 'I'm out of space'

Explorer | Level 4

I recently lost my connection to the internet for 5 days.  My Basic Dropbox account has been filling up.  Now that I'm online again, I find that my Dropbox is full and it won't allow me to delete what I think is the offending culprit:  'My Mac' folder seems to be un-deletable.  And I can't stop Dropbox from trying to sync to it.
I want to get my Dropbox under the 2GB quota so I can stop seeing the Upgrade warnings and to allow it to return to being useful again.  If this persists, I will be forced to close my account and delete it.

Dennis Degan

14 Replies 14

What setting is preventing me to delete outdated files?

Helpful | Level 5

I see about 500 people online at this moment and I'm hopeful someone can help me solve this problem.

I want to delete about 10 folders on my free dropbox.  Instructions told me to go to All Files.  I did.  Then,  hover the cursor over the folder or file I want to delete and the 3 dots will appear.  No they did not.  So I am unable to access the delete function.                                              Is there a setting I need to change?  It seems to show only a share mode.  I may have used dropbox to share files once.  One time a friend shared 2 short video clips.  I want to delete them also, along with the files that have outdated forms and info.

Dropbox has warned me I am running out of free storage.  They offer for me to purchase more.   I do not want to .  I do not use it much.  

I just want to delete old folders.  Then I will have a cleaned up free storage.  I have a 3 minute video I must upload to dropbox to my dance teachers later today.      Thank you for help.

Re: Unable to unfreeze my Basic Account 'I'm out of space'

Helpful | Level 5

Dennis, I asked similar question..how to delete files to clear the storage issue...I'm not frozen, but want to know how to unsync and delete also.  Sorry I don't see answers here that would enlighten you or me.  Good luck with solving this dilemma.  January

Super User

Hello, how about you log in to Dropbox.com, download the files/folders you are trying to delete and then delete those items from the web interface?

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi guys,

Seems the issue name is "Computer Backup" feature. :winking face: Did it gets activated intentionally... 🧐 or might be unintentionally. In all cases, seems the result is undesirable. In such case, just turn it off. Take a look on part "Turn off computer backup" and in point 6 choose "Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac", not "Leave content in Dropbox". That's it. :slightly smiling face: And... Happy New Year.

Hope this helps.

Helpful | Level 5

Hello Elixer,  You sound like you know what you're talking about.  I follow the idea to download the files or folders I want to delete. Would you kindly clarify what you mean ...then delete from the web interface.   I don't know what the web interface is.   I would also like to stop the sync feature.   Would you also kindly address how to stop the drop box sync feature???  Thanks, January

Helpful | Level 5

I will look for settings where I can turn off computer backup and keep content on pc not  leave content on dropbox.  I searched all over my dropbox and do not recall anywhere seeing turn off computer back up, etc.  It made me wonder if I am stuck in some kind of Share mode.  I do not know how to get out of that silly kind of limbo and get to Settings to solve the problem by your suggestions.  WIsh me luck.  And happy new year to you as well.  January

Helpful | Level 5

Hello 3 Ap     Good clear ideas.  Thank you.  See thread for more.  January

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @January,

Is something not clear enough? Did you read the referred topic? Everything is described there step by step. Describe what exactly confuses you, if any.

Good luck.

Explorer | Level 4

January,

It turns out that my computer's system was loaded with files in the 'Download' folder; about 5.3GB of files were there, which exceed my 2.75GB quota.  By setting Dropbox to selectively not sync that folder (and moving those Download files outside of the Dropbox folder), I was able to regain access to my Dropbox.  It took several minutes for Dropbox to resync in order to correct the Dropbox discrepancy, but once it was done, all was good.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?