cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to upload to server error message

Unable to upload to server error message

Explorer | Level 3

To whom may have an answer,

I have been using dropbox for years with no problems. Recently I purged just about everything and throwing away all files and shared folder to make room cause I kept getting an, "unable to upload to the server" error message. The file I am uploading is a zip file only 130MB or so. Any ideas?

11 Replies 11

Re: Unabel to Upload to Server

Dropboxer

Hey @dfraserdesign, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community. 

Have you tried adding the file from another browser or an incognito window? 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I haven't but will try and let you know how it goes. Thank you for your input.

Explorer | Level 3

I have tried Safari, Chrome, and Firefox and all of them say the same error, "unable to upload to server". I am using an iMac running Mojave OS. Plenty of room on my dropbox account, given that I threw just about everything away and permantely deleted it. I have used Dropbox for roughly 8 years with never any issues until a couple of days ago. I feel like I being shut down. Are zip files not accepted anymore? Open to suggestions to fix this problem. Thank you.

Explorer | Level 3

Hope this screen grab will trigger a possible answer.Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.18.24 AM.png

New member | Level 2

I just posted a similiar problem some minutes ago. I'm getting the same error message when uploading a 6,61 GB file, all others smaller than that made it. There is enough space available.

Like you I have purged a lot of files and folders before to make space.

I have also finally deleted all files in the bin to assure that no deleted files are left eating up my space.

Explorer | Level 3

I ran a test earlier this morning using Chrome, in Incognito, and the 90MB zip file was able to upload. Why I have to use Chrome and be in Incognito, is the question I have. I am curious if Apple's recent Safari Security updates have anything to do with this trouble. Unfortunately I have had the same problems in Firefox. Goodluck Klavo. Sorry I seem to have more questions than answers.

Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, @dfraserdesign

I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern in the end. 

@Klavo, could you also let us know if you're still having trouble with this? 

If so, is it just that specific file?

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Despite being able to upload a zip file this morning, using Chrome in Incognito mode, I am now back to square one. I am not able to upload anything. Extremely frustating. The files are not that big, I have atleast 2.75 GB available in my Dropbox account. If anyone could help me I would really be grateful. Thank you.

Dropboxer

Hi @dfraserdesign, is it possible that you have any extensions running in the incognito browser, such as a virus scanner or script disabler, which could be affecting the upload process.

If not in the browser, try disabling your computer's security software for one upload to see if this helps make a difference.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?