cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized request to share

Unauthorized request to share

ianwhillians
Explorer | Level 4

I have just received an unauthorized request from no-reply@dropbox.com to share a private folder. How did this happen? Is dropbox security so bad?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unauthorized request to share

Mark
Super User II

What do you mean you got a request to share a folder - that isnt how Dropbox works at all. 

Its almost certainly a hack attempt - i.e. not from Dropbox

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II

What do you mean you got a request to share a folder - that isnt how Dropbox works at all. 

Its almost certainly a hack attempt - i.e. not from Dropbox

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

ianwhillians
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks. That is what I assumed. Not sure how they would get a name of a specific folder & ask to share it? It was an email & on a notification on dropbox.
Never had this before on any other cloud service.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi there @ianwhillians!

Is the folder in question currently shared with anyone else, or is it just a normal folder in your account?

If a shared folder invitation is forwarded from person A to B, then B would see an option to "Request Access" when they try access the folder since they weren't specifically added to the folder in the first place.

Does this sound like a possibility here?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ianwhillians
Explorer | Level 4
Yes thank you. I shared it to someone & they tried to share it on. My confidence restored in dropbox. Than%s very much for your help.
These days with so many scams etc going on my first thought was hacked.
Have a great day

Daphne
Dropboxer
I'm glad to hear that @ianwhillians!

It's always good to be careful, so I completely understand. Better safe than sorry, as they say.

I'll be just a post away if you need anything else, don't hesitate to get back to me here.

Hope you have a great rest of your week!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?