cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Understanding Dropbox poorly

Understanding Dropbox poorly

overviewer
Explorer | Level 4

I have been used to using Syncback to a local mapped external drive, as a backup, not sync.  So my understanding of Dropbox has been slow in developing.  My wife and I each have a laptop and I wanted both backed up.  So I have  5TB account and finally succeeded in getting an entire 2TB mapped drive to sync.

But when I add my wife's 700GB mapped drive, suddenly I see Dropbox uploading and downloading 88,000 files!  Apparently Dropbox is trying to put everything of my wife's drive on mine, and everything on mine on hers.

All I want is that each of our drives be maintained in the Dropbox cloud.  Is there any way to do that or do we need separate accounts?

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@overviewer wrote:

But when I add my wife's 700GB mapped drive, suddenly I see Dropbox uploading and downloading 88,000 files!  Apparently Dropbox is trying to put everything of my wife's drive on mine, and everything on mine on hers.

Personally, I don't think Dropbox is the service you want to use. Dropbox is a file sync service, meaning anything you place within the Dropbox folder on your computer is synced to your account online and to any other devices linked to your account. Likewise, anything placed in your account online or within the Dropbox folder on other linked devices will be synced back down to your computer.

That's the intended purpose of Dropbox, and although it has some backup-like functionality (and some "backup" functionality that I believe to be poorly implemented and not a true backup), it is not a file backup service, and it sounds like you are really after a true backup service.

That said, if you wish to continue using Dropbox for that purpose, I'd suggest looking into the Selective Sync and Smart Sync features. You can also look at the Computer Backup feature, but know that it's not a true backup, and instead moves certain folders into the Dropbox folder so they sync.

overviewer
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, Rich.  Actually I wouldn't care if it was sync instead of backup, I just need them to be separate.  

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Need more support?