cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding problems with selective sync

notebynote
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

selective sync is my favorite kind of work since I use dropbox for years now. The workflow is more or less the same: either choose a folder to be downloaded from the dropbox onto my local folder and work with the data, then de-select it and it will be removed with the new syncing process. Or: create a folder on my local disk and put data into and sync it, later de-select it and it should be removed. But: it seems something I´m doing wrong since short time because the folders created locally are synced correctly but not being removed when I de-select them. They remain on my local disk with this grey button with a minus inside.

I have read the answer https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Using-Selective-Sync-on-a-Mac/m-p/297320#M44226 and it says there is a conflict with double folders which cannot be synced - I´m puzzled because it worked for me since years. Most of my new folders are created locally and I think this is pretty much the same with all users. Any help appreciated.

P.S. I´m not using smart sync very much as I don´t see the advantage of it...

8 Replies 8

Re: Understanding problems with selective sync

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @notebynote - how are you today?

From what I understand you're seeing a Selective Sync conflict (the icon you described) - correct me if I'm wrong please. This icon is used to indicate that the folder isn’t syncing to Dropbox.

If the folder begins syncing on its own, or you resume syncing by updating your Selective Sync settings, you may see that “(Selective Sync conflict)” is added to the name. In this case, both folders (the one with the original name and the one with “(Selective Sync conflict)” appended) will sync to your account online.

To resolve a Selective Sync conflict, move any files you need from the conflicted folder to either the original folder or somewhere else in Dropbox. If you see the folder with the gray minus sign, you'll need to allow the original folder to sync to your computer before moving the files over. Then, delete the conflicted folder.

I hope this information helps and please keep me posted on your progress!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

notebynote
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Walter, thanks for the reply.

yes, the folders are not synced. I de-select syncing these folders in selective sync option. However I did that many, many times before and after a short while after refreshing the dropbox syncing the folders disappear. Now they stuck on my local folder - why?

I don´t have the appendix "Selective Sync conflict" on my folders, see my picture.

Most of the folders I have created in the last years have been created manually on my local folder first, then filled with data, then uploaded/synced and when de-selected they disappear. You speak of "original folder". Well, these are the original folders, what else can I do?

I tested to sync the folders again and indeed now I get the appendix

I understand why this happens as there is another version with the same name. But this is not the problem I have.

Edit: Just to add another problem: I synced the above folder again but the download is only 16,5MB big instead of 2,1GB....

I hope you understand.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for the reply and additional information @notebynote

Based on your description, I'd say that you're having an issue where you apply some selective sync settings on some of your folders and they don't get un-synced - right?

To start with can you please ensure that none of the files within the folders you are trying to unsync are in use?

Our desktop app will be unable to apply the settings if a file is open within another application. This situation would include if, separate from Dropbox, the file is shared locally and in use by another user. Antivirus software scanning files at the moment you're trying to apply the Selective Sync settings would have a similar effect. Please ensure that all other applications are closed before re-attempting to apply the settings.

You should have enough space in your hard disk, equal to at least twice the amount of data that you're preparing to Selective Sync, for this process to be successful. 

On a side note, I'm not seeing any screenshots in your post - could you try sending them again? 

Last but not least, what does your desktop app state at the moment? Is it 'Up to date' or still syncing? 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

notebynote
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Walter ,

“Based on your description, I'd say that you're having an issue where you apply some selective sync settings on some of your folders and they don't get un-synced - right?”

All folders are synced already, so I can see the content on dropbox.com. For sure they are not yet synced anymore as I de-select syncing. It seems we are not talking the same way. I already described the problem above.

• all files are not in use, it´sjust a storage place.
  • no antivirus active.
  • plenty of space on my hard drive available.
  • the app is up to date (sync is finished, do you mean that? I´m running a german version so I assume mean this)

(It seems that imgur is not the right way to upload the pics. I can see them on my side here..)

190715-0002.png190715-0003.png

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Ah, so you're using Smart Sync after all @notebynote - it makes much more sense now; thanks for the screenshots!

Now, note that when using Selective Sync, and choosing to sync a folder you had previously excluded on the desktop client, you may notice the files appearing with a grey cloud icon beside them. This means that the files are ‘online-only’. You can see and interact with these files as normal, but they take up practically no space on your computer.

Through our Smart Sync feature you now have greater control and can sync only the folders or files you need by right clicking, choosing Smart Sync and then selecting 'Local'. This helps optimize your hard disk usage.

Once we have returned these 'online-only' files/folders through Selective Sync you can now see the files and folders and then proceed with re-downloading only the content you need and want.

To learn more about Smart Sync, please read this Help Center article:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/smart-sync

If you're still having questions or issues with this, please let me know here and I'll reach out to your Dropbox associated email address to work on this together. 

Walter

notebynote
Explorer | Level 3

I´m completely puzzled now

I know that the grey cloud means "online only" but this is not the problem, Walter.
Just to clarify here are the questions again:

• These are the original folders, created on the local disk (not online).
  • Why are they still here on my local disk although I de-select them not to be synchronized anymore? They should disappear!
  • 1.png

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Sorry for this @notebynote - at this point I'll have to revert to email fo privacy and security reasons. 

Therefore, I just reached out via your Dropbox email address so we can have a further look into this. 

Whenever you get the chance, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

PS: I'm masking the personal information on your screenshot for security purposes. 

Walter

notebynote
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, @Walter , just answered your mail.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?